FTP/FTPS/SFTP vs SMB/AFP for share access

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

I was just thinking the other day how Casper does its uploads to SMB or AFP shares. However it allows for distribution of packages/scripts via HTTP. My question then becomes, why not take SMB/AFP out of the equation completely and just go with something like FTP/FTPS/SFTP?

Is there a drastic speed difference? Is one more secure over the other? Any technical reason not to use FTP/FTPS/SFTP over SMB/AFP?

Casper Admin doesn't support so this is all purely for the sake of conversation.

3 REPLIES 3

russeller
Contributor III

Not sure about the differences, but having more options available is always a good thing.

I honestly see JAMF moving away from the Casper Admin tool altogether and making it all web based. They are most of the way there already.

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

Well I hope it doesn't quite move away from Casper Admin because I just don't see a web interface being as fast as a native app.

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

I would take a guess that it's the way it's always been so there's never been a need to switch from AFP/SMB before. Plus Mac and Windows servers can handle at least one of the protocols with no extra software.

I'd really like the option of only using the web interface. I find Casper Admin a bit dated.