FV2 Workflow, CoreStorage already enabled out of the box?

hkim
Contributor II

I've gotten a few reports that Casper FV2 workflows aren't working, and it seems the culprit is that CoreStorage is already turned on out of the box. Which is strange since I have to break that CS setup, and then re-image, and then Casper FV2 deferment will work.

Anyone else seeing this behavior?

10 REPLIES 10

Josh_S
Contributor III

Are you using an iMac, with a Fusion drive?

hkim
Contributor II

iMac = Yes
Fusion Drive = No

And that's the rub, even without Fusion Drive, why is these iMacs have CoreStorage already enabled?

blinvisible
Contributor

I have found Casper's built-in FileVault Status detection to be pretty bad. I had machines reporting their inventory as "All Partitions Encrypted" when FileVault wasn't even turned on, but encrypted external storage was attached. The only accurate method I've come up with is ignoring CoreStorage status entirely and using an Extension Attribute that returns the value of `fdesetup status` to determine what FileVault is really up to. Granted, that will only help you with Mountain Lion, as fdesetup in Lion isn't as capable.

hkim
Contributor II

I use EAs for FV2 reporting, but this is out of the box, brand new, iMac, without Fusion Drive, already having CoreStorage activated (thus the deferment options are not working in fdesetup)

blinvisible
Contributor

Can you post the outputs of `diskutil list` and `diskutil coreStorage list` ?

hkim
Contributor II
/dev/disk0 #: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER 0: GUID_partition_scheme *3.0 TB disk0 1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1 2: Apple_CoreStorage 3.0 TB disk0s2 3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s3 /dev/disk1 #: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER 0: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD *3.0 TB disk1
CoreStorage logical volume groups (1 found) | +-- Logical Volume Group E0CF2E99-DFF0-4BF5-9F82-57067E59DDE9 ========================================================= Name: Macintosh HD Status: Online Size: 2999733223424 B (3.0 TB) Free Space: 0 B (0 B) | +-< Physical Volume 90B04F79-3E74-46BE-964C-0F1FB2077E63 | ---------------------------------------------------- | Index: 0 | Disk: disk0s2 | Status: Online | Size: 2999733223424 B (3.0 TB) | +-> Logical Volume Family 4ED12FBB-EAFC-4856-8953-0333F3DF7F51 ---------------------------------------------------------- Encryption Status: Unlocked Encryption Type: None Conversion Status: NoConversion Conversion Direction: -none- Has Encrypted Extents: No Fully Secure: No Passphrase Required: No | +-> Logical Volume 78FF05FF-C121-4CEA-8254-948E78AD7C8E --------------------------------------------------- Disk: disk1 Status: Online Size (Total): 2999414448128 B (3.0 TB) Size (Converted): -none- Revertible: No LV Name: Macintosh HD Volume Name: Macintosh HD Content Hint: Apple_HFS

Anyone else see this happening?

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Wow, that's weird. Clearly a CoreStorage setup but also clearly not encrypted. And if its not a Fusion drive....hmmm, not sure what would cause that. You say these are on iMacs? Can you post the model you're seeing this on? Is it consistent with these models or is happening on multiple model types?

hkim
Contributor II

It seems to be the latest batch of them but with 3TB drives. And I think I figured out why, after 10.8.3 Apple was putting CS on them to support Boot Camp (due to Windows 7 and the 2 TB limit) and thus addressing that issue. That's why they're coming with CS turned on out of the box.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Ah, OK. Mystery solved then! Thanks for posting back with that information. We likely will not run into this since we're 99% laptops here, but still good to know.

franton
Valued Contributor III

That's exactly right. The 3Tb iMacs are all CS out of the box. It has to be seen to be believed what the Bootcamp Assistant does to the partitioning structure to make that work.

TwoCanoes has an excellent blog post on it here: http://www.twocanoes.com/support/winclone/installing-windows-via-boot-camp-on-a-large-(2.2-tb-or-lar...-drive-in-lion-(10.7)-and-later)