Garageband 10.0.3 Deployment Issue

TomDay
Release Candidate Programs Tester

I have a pkg file for garageband 10.0.3 using Rich's method, works perfectly if I run the pkg right on my laptop. However, that same file that is uploaded to the JSS will not work properly. I try via Casper remote and Casper imaging, log files say it installs properly but no installation to be found anywhere on the laptop. 10.0.2 pkg I have installs as designed in all scenarios. I've tried 3 clean downloads from the App store with the method mentioned above. Any thoughts?

54 REPLIES 54

etippett
Contributor II

Does anyone have a definitive list of the only packages required in order to prevent the download and install on first launch of GarageBand 10.1.2? I am pushing GB out to non-admin users, so I need to make sure they aren't prompted at launch, since it requires admin credentials. I'd rather not push out GBs and GBs of additional content, though, only what's absolutely necessary.

Thanks,
Eric

jmahlman
Valued Contributor

@etippett Eric, I gave up on using any scripts to do this and went with composer. How I push out all of my content (this would work with the basic content too) is install GarageBand then let it load and download what you need. Open Composer and drag in the following folders if they're there:

/Library/Application Support/GarageBand
/Library/Application Support/Logic
/Library/Audio/Apple Loops
/Library/Audio/Apple Loops Index
/Library/Audio/Impulse Responses

My Content PKG

Not 100% sure if you need to bring in the index files also, but it only takes a few extra minutes to do it (you'll have to take a new and modified snapshot for that). This is what my Composer looks like when I grab the index. Index DMG with FUT and FEU

I do this with Logic and GB and have no issues with users being asked for passwords or to download anything. I outline my process here

etippett
Contributor II

Thanks, @jmahlman . I did end up figuring this out late yesterday. Here's another post where I detail the solution. I try to avoid Composer when possible, but it may be easier in this case!

Also, I checked out your script repository on GitHub; the Adobe RUM update one may prove very handy for me, so thanks for sharing!

Eric

jacob_salmela
Contributor II

@etippett here is the list of loops from 10.1.2 that I found:

https://github.com/jacobsalmela/adminscripts/commit/9d81d8276175e0a280e0e6c68122f20c909f91dc

etippett
Contributor II

@jacob_salmela : How are you determining what loops to download in your script? Like I mention in the post linked above, a fresh install of 10.1.2 from MAS is not downloading at first boot the packages you've listed.

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

This is the script I ran about a month ago that had everything. This was before the Chinese stuff was released later.

https://github.com/cwindus/garageband

etippett
Contributor II

@CasperSally Thanks. I've seen that too, but again, I'm not trying to download everything, only what is installed on first launch.

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

@etippett try running with the ./get_audio_content.py -y 2013 argument to get the basics. You might get some extra files, but you can ignore them pretty easily based on name.

jacob_salmela
Contributor II

@etippett I open GarageBand, download the new songs and when I see the prompt for the password to install, I look in /var/folders/ to find all the package names.

jmahlman
Valued Contributor

@etippett Glad I can help.

That RUM updater is very basic so if you are better at scripting than me, feel free to share any additions ;)

JesseNCSD
New Contributor III

To chime in with what i've been using, I've simply been augmenting packages from my 9.x and 10.x installs. As of 10.1.1, this is:

(Core content rollups, install order is important.)
1. MAContent10_GarageBandCoreContent_v3.pkg
2. MAContent10_GarageBandCoreContent2.pkg
3. MAContent10_GarageBandPremiumContent.pkg
4. MAContent10_GB_StereoDrumKitsAlternative.pkg
5. MAContent10_GB_StereoDrumKitsRock.pkg
6. MAContent10_GB_StereoDrumKitsRnB.pkg
7. MAContent10_GB_StereoDrumKitsSongWriter.pkg
8. MGBContentCompatibility.pkg

Then some packages that 10.1.1 started requesting:
- MAContent10_AssetPack_0048_AlchemyPadsDigitalHolyGhost.pkg
- MAContent10_AssetPack_0315_AppleLoopsElectroHouse1.pkg
- MAContent10_AssetPack_0324_AppleLoopsBluesGarage.pkg
- MAContent10_AssetPack_0325_AppleLoopsGarageBand1.pkg
- MAContent10_AssetPack_0354_EXS_PianoSteinway.pkg
- MAContent10_AssetPack_0371_EXS_GuitarsAcoustic.pkg
- MAContent10_AssetPack_0375_EXS_GuitarsVintageStrat.pkg
- MAContent10_AssetPack_0376_EXS_GuitarsWarmElectric.pkg
- MAContent10_AssetPack_0483_EXS_OrchWoodwindBasson.pkg
- MAContent10_AssetPack_0484_EXS_OrchWoodwindClarinetSolo.pkg
- MAContent10_AssetPack_0487_EXS_OrchWoodwindFluteSolo.pkg
- MAContent10_AssetPack_0489_EXS_OrchWoodwindOboeSolo.pkg
- MAContent10_AssetPack_0491_EXS_OrchBrass.pkg
- MAContent10_AssetPack_0501_EXS_OrchOrgan.pkg
- MAContent10_AssetPack_0503_EXS_ChoirChamberClassical.pkg
- MAContent10_AssetPack_0538_DrummerSticks.pkg
- MAContent10_AssetPack_0548_EXS_iOSInstruments.pkg
- MAContent10_AssetPack_0554_AppleLoopsDiscoFunk2.pkg
- MAContent10_AssetPack_0593_DrummerSoCalGBLogic.pkg
- MAContent10_AssetPack_0599_GBLogicAlchemyEssentials.pkg

I had not been installing the larger amount that jacob_salmela's script pulls (although it's a great resource to get lots of content).

I had not yet looked at what 10.1.2 adds to the above. I'll be curious to see how much of the stuff matches up with etippett's list.

carl
New Contributor II

Hey guys, in my testing route, I've noticed that for a fresh installation of GarageBand 10.1.2, it only needs the loops from 2016 to run without nagging users to download content. Additionally, it doesn't matter what order these loops are installed in, as long as they're installed.

It seems that there are a number of loops in the 2016 content that either updates, or replaces loops from the older 2013, and 2015 packages. I've not done any specific testing to see if this is the case, but given that all of the 2013-2016 GarageBand packs come in at ~19GB, and I've built a package with all this content that comes to 13GB in size, it seems this is the case. Take this with a pinch of salt.

It also appears that you can't wrap these packages into another package, with a simple postflight/postinstall script that runs a for loop over them to install them. I keep seeing a PackageKit error when I try this.

Jun  2 10:19:45 mithrandir installer[866]: PackageKit: Install Failed: (null) (null)

I've resorted to a pre/post content snapshot, and creating a package that drops the loops into the right folders, and applies the correct permissions. I've used logGen and pkgGen to do that.

Once the package is built and installed on a test machine, GarageBand works perfectly fine - it sees the audio content in the correct folder locations and automatically indexes the loops on first launch. This index process happens per user, and will happen anytime GarageBand see's new loop content.

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

@carl "It also appears that you can't wrap these packages into another package, with a simple postflight/postinstall script that runs a for loop over them to install them. I keep seeing a PackageKit error when I try this."

I ran into something similar and someone smarter than me in slack pointed out because of SIP on 10.11, you can't combine apple pkgs into a single pkg

carl
New Contributor II

@CasperSally That's an incredibly frustrating turn of events. Can be worked around, but often it's far easier to bundle these into one big bundle :| Guess I'll have to pass some feedback on to our Apple rep, etc.

etippett
Contributor II

I can confirm what @carl has said: only the 2016 loops seem to be necessary in order to prevent users from being prompted to download content on first launch of GB 10.1.2

Eric