Generating OSX versions report

ChrisM100
New Contributor III

Hi all,

I've recently got back into the Support game having been away for a few years (CCA in 2008 - things look a little different now!). I've been tasked with creating a report of the Macs on the network (checked in last 90 days) that are pre-10.8, to work out if they can be upgraded or need to be replaced.

Initially, I just want to identify how many there are and the names of said Macs - though a complete report of the hardware would be a bonus. I have to admit to feeling a bit rusty on this... I've been trying to create a Smart Group, using the OS version criteria, but it seems a bit long-winded to do and needs a lot of digging to find the relevant information.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Jim

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

if all you need initially is a report, using the Advanced Computer Search section should yield what you want.

Use the following criteria options to see if it gets you what you want

( Last Check-in | less than x days ago | 91 )
and
Operating System | like | 10.6
or
Operating System | like | 10.7

Note that there are parenthesis around the Last Check-in section. Without that you may not get the results you expect in my experience.

If you have OSes going back further than 10.6, you may need to add in some Operating System sections with the general OS version, like 10.5, etc. (Remember to put an "or" between them). Hopefully you don't have Macs running that old of an OS though.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

Computer tab -> Search Inventory -> New Advanced Computer Searches

Select the relevant criteria and display columns.
You can then export to a CSV and sort by last check-in date.

mm2270

if all you need initially is a report, using the Advanced Computer Search section should yield what you want.

Use the following criteria options to see if it gets you what you want

( Last Check-in | less than x days ago | 91 )
and
Operating System | like | 10.6
or
Operating System | like | 10.7

Note that there are parenthesis around the Last Check-in section. Without that you may not get the results you expect in my experience.

If you have OSes going back further than 10.6, you may need to add in some Operating System sections with the general OS version, like 10.5, etc. (Remember to put an "or" between them). Hopefully you don't have Macs running that old of an OS though.

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

Mike shouldn't parenthesis be on the OS criteria like this:

Last Check-in | less than x days ago | 91
and
( Operating System | like | 10.6
or
Operating System | like | 10.7 )

mm2270

@bpavlov I suppose it could go either way, but I just built a quick query as I outlined above and it gave me all Macs with checks ins within 90 days and running 10.6.x or 10.7.x. So, more than one way to skin a cat I guess.

ChrisM100
New Contributor III

Great, thanks guys. It's all gradually coming back to me... ;)

@mm2270 We do still have a couple of Macs running 10.5.8! There's no defined life cycle for the computers, hopefully we can weed out a few of the dinosaurs that won't be capable of running 10.8...