Git Tower package creation

laurendc
New Contributor

Good morning,

Having trouble getting the license recognized for a program called Git Tower. I'm wondering if anyone has any insight that can help me get this license recognized. I am using Composer to create this package.

The license file has an entry in it that is referencing the machine that the program is being serialized on. The license file is a plist one that gets created after you serialize the program in ~/Library/Application Support/Tower (which I imagine is a typical workflow for these things)

Here's what I've tried so far:

-Creating the package without launching it, then creating a separate .dmg with the license file in it, then deploying both together through Casper Remote. The .dmg has FUT and FEU enabled and gets deployed after the .pkg installer.
-Creating the package, serialized, as a .dmg with FUT & FEU enabled, and then deploying through Remote
-Commenting the machine references/entry out of the plist, in the hope that it would get written to/re-created on new install/launch. Tried putting this modified file in as a .dmg with FUT & FEU enabled and deploying through Remote
-Deploying the package, serialized, via policy with FUT & FEU enabled (allowing user to install via Self Service)

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

talkingmoose

I had my run-in with Tower a couple years ago.

You may not realize it but when you're activating the software you're activating it online. It requires an Internet connection to complete. Activation will fail without it. With online activation the company has no need to store any licensing on your computer other than information that says the licensing file is only valid for that computer's UUID or MAC address or whatever they use to define the hardware.

I'm afraid this is one of those applications where you cannot package licensing on one machine and transfer it to another. You'll have to install the software and then manually run it under the user account of the licensed user on the final computer while connected to the Internet to activate it.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

talkingmoose

I had my run-in with Tower a couple years ago.

You may not realize it but when you're activating the software you're activating it online. It requires an Internet connection to complete. Activation will fail without it. With online activation the company has no need to store any licensing on your computer other than information that says the licensing file is only valid for that computer's UUID or MAC address or whatever they use to define the hardware.

I'm afraid this is one of those applications where you cannot package licensing on one machine and transfer it to another. You'll have to install the software and then manually run it under the user account of the licensed user on the final computer while connected to the Internet to activate it.