Google Chrome patching through Jamf app catalog

Asifahmed
New Contributor III

Hello All,

Just wanted to know if I can enable Jamf app catalog for Google Chrome patching as Google Chrome deployment policy is configured in such a way that after deployment it will enable the Google chrome auto update. Now I am worried if it can cause any issue to patch Google Chrome through Jamf app catalog. Need your suggestion, if it is possible to enable Jamf app catalog then can I do for other apps those are enabled with auto update?

2 REPLIES 2

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

You can enable or disable Chromes built in auto update with a Configuration Profile. As far as the Mac App Catalog, JAMF will update Chrome with new Packages (technically installing the new version with a package rather then an upgrade) as well as the initial install if configured to automatically install. Chromes auto update settings has no baring on the Mac App Catalog behavior. 

piotrr
Contributor III

I would say One or the other - not both.  

You can, but it leads to a conflict that may cause chrome to stop working temporarily while Enterprise install performs an update. You may see a bunch of weird behaviors due to this, and it may not be worth the support time. 

It is better to install Chrome with a Package and a configuration profile to enable automatic updates instead.