Greyed out app prompting for App Store purchase

SaintMatt
New Contributor

Hello all,

I have an issue showing up at random with only a select few of the iPads I manage. A certain app will not install but will show up on the device grayed out and typically says Waiting (it is properly scoped and we have enough licenses). When you click on the grayed-out app, it either does nothing or prompts to be installed via the App Store.

I'm also not able to install it through Self Service. The "Install" command is non-responsive and JAMF shows the command as failed, citing that the app is already scheduled for management. 

I am not able to delete the grayed out app because it's not installed. 

I supposed I could install it through the App Store but I shouldn't have to. 

The iPads are 7th gens running the latest iOS and have enough storage available to install the apps.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mickgrant
Contributor III

I have seen this before, it's just like something gets bugged with the installation. Luckily the fix is pretty simple

Go to the App install Policy and exclude the device from its scope. Now the iPad will uninstall the app, now just remove the exclusion and the installation should happen normally and the app will work fine.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

mickgrant
Contributor III

I have seen this before, it's just like something gets bugged with the installation. Luckily the fix is pretty simple

Go to the App install Policy and exclude the device from its scope. Now the iPad will uninstall the app, now just remove the exclusion and the installation should happen normally and the app will work fine.

Thanks @mickgrant. I had tried excluding the device from the scope yesterday but that did not work. However, based on your suggestion, I removed the device from it's top-level group which resolved the issue. Rather than excluding the device, it removed it from the scope entirely...which somehow made a difference.

Thanks!

Violet8282
New Contributor

I can tell you what worked for me, what i did was this removed greyed-out apps on iPhone can be tricky because the standard method (tapping and holding the app icon) might be disabled. Here are effective step to try:-

1. Open Settings on your iPhone.
2. Navigate to General.
3. Tap on iPhone Storage. (This might take some time to load a list of all apps and their storage usage.)
4. Find the greyed-out app you want to remove from the list.
5. Tap on the app name.
6. Look for the option to Delete App. If available, tap on it to uninstall the app.

Follow for more effective assistance below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTtQF_-OnQE&ab_channel=TheGeekPage