Guest User Configuration Issues

jgwatson
Contributor

I am trying to configure each iMac in our lab to only have the Guest user option available (Administrator next to it is also fine.)

The settings I have for my Configuration profile are....

Login Window - Window

Show local users
Show computer's administrators
Show Shut Down button

Options
Allow Guest User

Access
Local-only users may log in

All I am seeing is the Admin option - no guest user.

Any help would be great. Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

osbalde
New Contributor

If you are using a hidden management account for JAMF, Guest will be available if you select Show "Other..." in the configuration Profile. But it won't specifically show Guest with the circle icon, you have to type in Guest. Our fix for this was to make the normal administrator account the JAMF account as well. Someone might have a better fix than I do.

jgwatson
Contributor

Osbalde, where do I go to to make the normal administrator account the JAMF account as well?

Sorry, JAMF Newbie...Thanks

osbalde
New Contributor

When you image or recon the computer you specify which account JAMF should used to administrate the computer. If you are presently using a hidden account you'll need to remove that along with the JAMF framework and then build a package in recon to use the administrator account you have and run it on those computers.

To remove JAMF use: sudo jamf -removeFramework

You'll need to remove the hidden account which can be annoying depending on how you have it setup.

Once that is done open recon and build an inventory add package that uses the administrator account you already have on the computer (uncheck create account) and then run it to re-add the computers to JAMF. If you have properly removed the hidden account having |Access: Local-only users may log| checked should display Guest User Icon.

Hope this helps.