Has anyone repackaged Cisco Webex Meetings for silent install?

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

There are two issues with the Cisco Webex Meetings installer that make it unsuitable for silent install:

1) It launches the app in the next to last line of the postflight script
2) The postflight script contains a call to the binary PTInstall (embedded in ./PTInstall/Contents/MacOS/ which will prompt the user to quit the Microsoft Outlook or iCal (not Calendar) apps if they're running.

If I comment out item #1 and repack the installer it works, but if I disable the call to PTInstall then the installer reports an error validating files. Before I go down the rabbit hole further I thought I'd ask if anyone has gone through this exercise before can can share their experience.

5 REPLIES 5

paulnz
New Contributor II

Would like to know this too, Webex Meeting silent install options only appear to extend to Windows installs.

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@paulnz FYI my org ended up abandoning the silent install route for Cisco Webex Meetings. We just make it available for install via Self Service.

hdsreid
Contributor III

@sdagley how are you handling updates? right now it seems as if the uninstaller needs to be ran prior to the new version being installed, otherwise the outlook plugin won't update. just curious if you've noticed this and how it is incorporated into your workflow?

i run a script beforehand to call the uninstaller and guide the user through it, and then the installer launches for the new one. This is a self-service policy as you have yours, because we gave up on silent from the start for it (unless its a deployment on a new device with nothing installed).

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@hdsreid We have been letting users run the built-in updates, but that may be changing. Thanks for the heads up on the Outlook plugin update problem as that would be an issue for us if a user was running an update via Self Service. FYI we did ask Cisco for a truly silent installer, but didn't get anywhere with that request.

hdsreid
Contributor III

@sdagley we have the built in auto updates disabled unfortunately, for whatever reason (i have no hand in the Cisco stack here), so that has never been an option unfortunately. We put a warning in the self service dialogue that outlook will be force quit and then they will be walked through an uninstall, but that was the best I could figure out. Outlook updates dont seem to be breaking Webex plugin as frequently anymore either, so that is a positive