Hide the self-service app?

msnowdon
Contributor

We have several MacBook carts in our schools. I was trying to find a way to hide the self service icon for these computers or at least the students.

5 REPLIES 5

rderewianko
Valued Contributor II

You can't hide it. But you do have the option of installing it only on your local admin account, not at all or somewhere else on the machine such as /usr/bin/

This can be accomplished by going into your system preferences, and then going to computer management, from there you'll want to click on the Self Service Icon under Management Framework.

Look
Valued Contributor III

You could also add the process for it to the restricted software list in the JSS and scope it to the user group you wanted to restrict.
It would be visible but not usable.
Otherwise choose a sub folder for it's installation and then script and scope custom permissions to that folder.

msnowdon
Contributor

Thanks for the ideas. I may try the restricted software approach. I only want to hide it from cart computers and not everyone.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

If all you're looking to do is just hide the application on those specific computers, you can do the following with a script or even a one-liner in a policy:

chflags hidden /Applications/Self Service.app

This makes it hidden in the Finder the same as if it were one of those system related files that are hidden in the Finder.

You can still see it in the Terminal, and also launch it from the Terminal by doing the following:

open /Applications/Self Service.app

daz_wallace
Contributor III

You can always run a "chflags hidden [path to self service.app]" to hide it from the GUI.

Run this on certain Macs and job done!

Darren