High Sierra cant create usernames

LyndhurstSchool
New Contributor

Hi all,

Ive noticed the form blowing up with High Sierra imaging issues etc. I have one that I havent seen posted on here and wondering if anyone else found away around it. I made a High Sierra image using AutoDMG 1.8 and I am unable to create any users after I boot it through system preferences, it just throws me an error that the user and groups pain failed. I also cant get on the internet with it even though I can ping my local network. Any thoughts? This is a barebones image nothing installed other than the os and I used the pyusercreater to create the first username since AutoDMG doesnt give me an option to do so.

3 REPLIES 3

maurits
Contributor

There is an issue reported on slack that sysadminctl has issues on 10.13.2. Scripts based on dscl are supposed to be working better.

Not tried myself, but this may help you better over there:

https://macadmins.slack.com/archives/C060SPREF/p1512767232000458

Jayson Kish OK. In 10.13.1 I could create an admin account and local standard account using sysadminctl using a bash script that ran on enrollment with JAMF Pro. Neither would get SecureToken, but I could enable FileVault on deferment and the first mobile account to login would get it instead. This was a livable workaround, as it was the behavior I needed. Starting with 10.13.2, you cannot create an account using sysadminctl without first providing an administrator user name and password, which in my case, doesn’t exist. So I now have to create my administrator account in the PreStage Enrollment, then include that administrator’s user name and password in my bash script to create my local standard account (annoying, but livable since the passwords are later changed by another policy). The tradeoff here though is that both the administrator and standard account get SecureToken, but my mobile account no longer does. Thanks Apple. Does anyone here have a good solution for enabling SecureToken for mobile accounts and enabling FileVault at the time of login? Posted in #filevaultDec 8th at 10:07 PM

maurits
Contributor

So investigate the script are you using to create the users; I would not be surprised if pyusercreater is based on the 'more modern' syadminctl :-(

LyndhurstSchool
New Contributor

Ok I will look, would that cause an issue with the internet as well? Why wouldn't the os itself be able to create users? Is it because the user I created using py corrupted something?