High Sierra NetRestore Failing

upworkadmin
New Contributor

Hi folks:

In a nutshell:
I am running into an issue where I am unable to netrestore a High Sierra image.

The image fails at the screen where you select your hd/disk utility.
It will say prepare to netrestore then after a few mins, it fails and says something like netrestore cannot be completed, blah blah etc.

Any ideas?

The longer version:

I initially was trying to build a high sierra image. I tried to save it on a mac mini (sierra) but got an error 2. I initially thought the issue as to why I couldn't save the image because the two os are different from each other. After upgrade to high sierra, i still couldn't save the image. After doing some researching, i learned/realized that you can only save the image to a machine as long as they're the same os.

The initial problem was not being able to save the image. The new problem is that the image fails.

I thought initially because the mac mini was built on a sierra image, maybe that's why the image is failing. So I created a new mac server with a cleanly installed high sierra os to test and see if the image can be pulled. Unfortunately, that did not work so I'm stuck.

I absolutely have no idea what to do.

Things that I've read online that may or may not be related:
- High Sierra pulls firmware updates off the internet
- APFS is junk
- Imaging is dead?
- The mac OS server creates the saved image as hfs+ rather than apfs?
- The version of High Sierra that I'm trying to save is 10.13.4 and there's some chat going around saying deploying 10.13.4 will not work but 10.13.0 - 10.13.3 should work

6 REPLIES 6

dan-snelson
Valued Contributor II

@ladiesman1150 On your fresh 10.13.4 machine, are you able to create a 10.13.4 NetInstall Image and see if it works as expected?

upworkadmin
New Contributor

@dan.snelson i have not tried a net install yet. I have no problem trying that but can you explain why I should try netinstall?

Thanks.

dan-snelson
Valued Contributor II

@ladiesman1150 More of a sanity check than anything else …

… just to make sure SIU and "Install macOS High Sierra.app" are working.

upworkadmin
New Contributor

It looks like netrestore wont work with High Sierra 10.13.4. Supposedly, 10.13.0 - 10.13.3 can work.
I confirmed that 10.13.3 works however, it selectively works. I was able to image a 13" non touch bar (current generation) and a 15" touchbar but the image failed w/ the airs, mbp 15" (previous generation) and 13" touchbar.

Anyone else run into this issue or something similar?

nkuhl30
Contributor

No issues with 10.13.4 NetRestore images here. However, our employees are still using 2012 MacBook Pros, non-retina, with the optical drives. We bought a bunch when Apple stopped selling them last year.

upworkadmin
New Contributor

@nkuhl30 if you don't mind sharing, can you tell me how your environment is set up? How do you save it, etc. I would like to see what I am doing differently.