How do I copy a file to the desktop?

jconrod
New Contributor III

I'm new to Jamf, so I'm hoping someone can help me figure out how to do something that should be pretty simple.

I work at a college.  We have computer labs with iMacs.  Some professors require students to use some Windows-only software, so I created a virtual Windows computer that people can connect to from an iMac.  They get to the virtual computer via a web browser.  I've been asked to put a shortcut to that website on the iMac desktops so that a user can log on to the iMac, double-click the icon on the desktop, and get to the virtual Windows computer.

How do I use Jamf Pro to push the shortcut to the lab iMacs in such a way that each user will have that shortcut when they use their individual Active Directory (AD) credentials to log on to the iMac?  I know how to create the icon that they will click on, but not where to put it so that each user will have it on their desktop or how to put it in that location with Jamf.

Thanks in advance for your help.

--Jeff

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tapia
New Contributor III

not exactly what you are asking but would putting them (the URL to the website) in Self Service Bookmarks work?

This is in Jamf Pro "Settings -> Self Service -> Bookmarks" 

These bookmarks would be controlled by the Jamf Admin(s) and wouldn't be end user removable. 

It seems a Web Clip would be the way to go with your original ask. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Tapia
New Contributor III

not exactly what you are asking but would putting them (the URL to the website) in Self Service Bookmarks work?

This is in Jamf Pro "Settings -> Self Service -> Bookmarks" 

These bookmarks would be controlled by the Jamf Admin(s) and wouldn't be end user removable. 

It seems a Web Clip would be the way to go with your original ask. 

jconrod
New Contributor III

Thanks, Tapia.  That works and has some advantages over the original request.  I'll look into Web Clips, too -- I'm not familiar with them.

If anyone else has ideas of how to do this, please let me know -- it is a good learning opportunity for me!

Thanks again,

--Jeff

PaulHazelden
Valued Contributor

I use a script and a LaunchAgent to put shortcuts on the Users desktop.
The LaunchAgent runs whenever the user logs in. It gets set to run a script. Use an if statement to test if they already exist, if not create them.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

I would second the use of Self Service bookmarks myself. As stated, these can't be removed by the user, either accidentally or on purpose. You can also attach an icon to them that may make it more clear what they are for, and even a brief description of what it is. Icons on users desktops can get lost amid other icons over time, get renamed or deleted among other things that can happen to them, so they aren't the best choice for something that really needs to stay present on the system and be consistent.

You just might want to ensure that any bookmarks you set up open in a separate browser window, since there's a possibility the default behavior, to open inside Self Service, may not work with the service you set up. 

jconrod
New Contributor III

Thanks, PaulHazelden and mm2270.  I have a Self Service bookmark doing what I want.  I don't know what the perfect solution is, but the Self Service bookmark is a pretty good one.  Definitely some advantages over what was asked for.  Hopefully the requester likes it, since I don't know a better solution at the moment.  :-)