How to add printers to JSS?

mpittcasd
Contributor

Hello, sorry if this has been discussed somewhere or if there's documentation I missed. I've tried searching but haven't been able to find anything.

I am trying to add printers to JSS. Whenever I try to add one, I click browse printers and get a message that says "Click the disclosure triangles to see a list of printers in each category" but I don't see any triangles, and if I type the name of the printer in or the IP address it says I need at least one valid printer.

Is there something simple I'm missing, or am I in the wrong place to be adding printers?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

Add printers to your admin workstation, then open casper admin and add printers there, it searches your local machine for printers and will prompt for which to add to JSS

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

rderewianko
Valued Contributor II

Are you adding the printers to casper admin first? also, if its a 3rd party printer driver you'll need to package that up as well
This can be done with the following KB
https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/article.html?id=37

rderewianko
Valued Contributor II

posted twice oops

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

Add printers to your admin workstation, then open casper admin and add printers there, it searches your local machine for printers and will prompt for which to add to JSS

mpittcasd
Contributor

I did see that article, but that helped a little bit. I got the Casper Admin tools now, and created a package by following the instructions. When I set it in a policy it fails saying the package could not be found. Does that have to be put in the Packages folder on the JAMF server? And is there another way where I could add the printer to the server so I could make a policy that adds a printer instead of deploying it through a package?

Thanks for your help so far.

Edit: Just saw your post CasperSally, that did the trick. Now that I have the Casper Suite I can probably look around a bit more. I was previously going into Casper Admin via JSS, which was throwing me off for this. Thanks, and thanks again rderewianko

rderewianko
Valued Contributor II

You'll still need to deploy the driver if its not built in to apples core drivers. Also, if the package is failing, are you opening from the same share point? or do you have multiple sites? if you have multiple sites you will need to replicate from your master by clicking on the other sites in casper admin and clicking replicate.