How to automount an SMB share as guest for use by Thinkbox Deadline

endor-moon
Contributor II

I'm struggling to get Thinkbox Deadline working, which is some sort of rendering pipeline for our Visual FX students. After a long conference call with their support folks about a week ago to setup the network repository for the software on our CentOS box, I'm ready to start configuring the client software. (Incidentally, the same Linux box is hosting my JSS, which is its only other task at present.)

At the moment I'm using command-k to connect to server with this syntax:

smb://servername and selecting guest access. The DeadlineRepository share mounts under /Volumes, so it's full path is:

/Volumes/DeadlineRepository

The problem is, it requires students in the computer lab to manually connect and then the Finder opens the share, displaying its contents for all the students to mess with, which would be bad. It is mounted with full read-write access (777) so I don't want the Finder to display it. It is basically a read-write container for all the student rendering and only the Deadline client software needs to know where it is.

So now I'm reading up on automounts and how they work, but there is a lot of conflicting information out there. Our client machines have been upgraded to OS X Mavericks 10.9.5 as of yesterday. I believe I should use these options for the mount:

-nobrowse,hidefromfinder

..but I'm not sure how/where to put this. Is /etc/auto_master the correct location? Our client workstation /etc/auto_master files look like this:

#
# Automounter master map
#
+auto_master        # Use directory service
/net            -hosts      -nobrowse,hidefromfinder,nosuid
/home           auto_home   -nobrowse,hidefromfinder
/Network/Servers    -fstab
/-          -static

I'm seeing other folks use syntax like this at the end of the above file:

DeadlineRepository -fstype=smbfs,rw,soft ://guest:@server/DeadlineRepository

...but I want to make sure this mounts in Volumes just as it would with command-k. Unless that's a really bad idea. Should it be:

/Volumes/DeadlineRepository -fstype=smbfs,rw,soft ://guest:@server/DeadlineRepository

...and are there any other steps? Anyone who has done this, please share. ;)

0 REPLIES 0