how to create Smart group based on Extension Attribute

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

I have an extension attribute that displays the installed Microsoft Office Version in the form of 1442, 1448 (office 2011) or 1236 (office 2008). So the version # is displayed with not dots in between numbers.

How would i use this value in a smart group to list all computers that have Microsoft Office 2008 installed?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

emily
Valued Contributor III
Valued Contributor III

So as soon as the Extension Attribute is active and machines are checking in and that information is being pulled, you should be able to just create a Smart Group based on the EA results. When you create your Smart Group and go in to add Criteria, the bottom option should be All Criteria, and if you choose that it will show all possible criteria to create the group and should include the EA you created. From there, it's just a matter of setting an 'is' or 'is like' or 'is not' (whatever you prefer) that looks for the version # you specify.

So, for example:

Microsoft Office Version [is not] 1442
Microsoft Office Version [is not] 1448
etc.

Or

Microsoft Office Version [is] 1236

Or

Microsoft Office Version [like] 12

It just depends on how specific you want the results to be.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

emily
Valued Contributor III
Valued Contributor III

So as soon as the Extension Attribute is active and machines are checking in and that information is being pulled, you should be able to just create a Smart Group based on the EA results. When you create your Smart Group and go in to add Criteria, the bottom option should be All Criteria, and if you choose that it will show all possible criteria to create the group and should include the EA you created. From there, it's just a matter of setting an 'is' or 'is like' or 'is not' (whatever you prefer) that looks for the version # you specify.

So, for example:

Microsoft Office Version [is not] 1442
Microsoft Office Version [is not] 1448
etc.

Or

Microsoft Office Version [is] 1236

Or

Microsoft Office Version [like] 12

It just depends on how specific you want the results to be.

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

@emilykausalik thanks, got it. Could not find my EA in the list previously, you made me look more closely and now i found it.

emily
Valued Contributor III
Valued Contributor III

Happy to hear it :)

kniption
New Contributor II

It looks like the All Criteria option is removed from JAMF Pro 10, at least I am not seeing it in 10.7.1. Is there another option to create a smart group based off an extension attribute?

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@kniption You want to click the Show Advanced Criteria button on the upper right of the Criteria list

kniption
New Contributor II

@sdagley The problem was that the Extension Attribute was part of a patch management. Apparently, that type of EA can't be used in Smart Groups

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II