How to enable the Mac Startup Chime on your 2016-2019 MacBook Pro!

ClassicII
Contributor III

We all know by now that Apple removed the iconic startup chime from the MacBook Pro way back in 2016. Well.... It's back! Someone found a nvram command to enable the chime!

To be honest, I have been rebooting multiple MacBook Pro's for the last hour.

Enjoy!!!!!!

https://mrmacintosh.com/how-to-enable-the-mac-startup-chime-on-your-2016-macbook-pro

9 REPLIES 9

bradtchapman
Valued Contributor II

Give me a reason I shouldn't roll this command out to our entire fleet of 2016+ Macs... :-D

bradtchapman
Valued Contributor II

But seriously, how did this remain hidden for so long?

Rebry
New Contributor III

I knew it was in there somewhere! :D

crmeade
New Contributor III

This makes me unreasonably happy, and I'm ok with that :)

blackholemac
Valued Contributor III

I like most of you was excited at this, but I activated this newly found capability on my MacBook Pro (2018) model and it sounded TERRIBLE and not terribly authentic. I’m tempted to try again on a different machine. My MacBook Pro’s sound is otherwise flawless. I had my hopes up.

carlo_anselmi
Contributor III

Yes, same awful sound with mine 2018 MBP 15". But at least there's a startup sound... :-)

wmehilos
Contributor

@bradtchapman It was first discovered back in 2016 when it was first removed, but the nvram flag changed somewhere along the line. This is really a celebration of the new StartupSound flag, since the BootAudio one doesn't work on the newer ones (I believe).

ClassicII
Contributor III

The sound for 2016 & 2017 T1's and 2018 & 2019 T2's is different.

The 2016/17 is the same exact sound as the macbook air or the 12" macbook.
The 2018/19 sounds deeper but might have some slight static.

If you tried this and it didn't work, make sure your sound is not muted. That usually fixes it for anyone having issues. Also make sure you type the command in exactly the same, as it's case sensitive.

obi-k
Valued Contributor II

Very cool. Thanks for posting. Worked on the 2018 MBP.