How to manage printing preset?

New Contributor

Hello,

I would like to manage the printing preset of my computer. I found that if I copy the file ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.print.custom presets.plist from the computer model to the new one it work. But it don't work from a 10.6 to a 10.9 OS. I'm working for school in Canada and I have around 20 photocopier with different departement code for different user. Some are local on the machine other are from ActiveDirectoy. I can count around 100 computers from 10.5 to 10.9 by photocopier. Right now we do the preset by hand, I would like to automate this part if possible. Did somebody tried this before?

2 REPLIES 2

calum_rmit
New Contributor III

Whoops misread the post

lwindram
Contributor

I handle this using the lpadmin command in a script. I have several short scripts that set various printing preferences through casper policies. As an example, our students all have access to a color copier. The copier defaults to color, but we want students to print in B&W. The students print directly to this copier via ip (no windows queue for this one) I have a policy scoped to login that sets this printing preference for the LDAP group that contains the students.

#!/bin/sh
lpadmin -p "HS_LEARNINGCOMMONS" -o ColorModel=Gray -o Finisher=FinKINGB
exit 0

This works well in our environment with about 16 copiers. I don't bother setting presets for desktop printers; most of ours are pretty basic and don't have a lot to set anyways.