How to process bulk imaging on multiple machines?

fabian_ulmrich
Contributor

Hi guys,

we need to re-image all machines at my school because of some security issues and because we would like to just manage one OS. That means we have to re-image 500 MacBook Air. Currently I just can image 15 machines at the same time, but I would like to image as much as I could. Apparently this is caused to our whole network infrastructure.

Actually we're having one NetBoot (MacMini Server) which provides the Casper 9.24 Imaging on OS 10.9.2 and I am having a XSERVE 2.66GHz QC with 4TB storage and 16GB RAM as AFP Distribution point. Would it make sense to replicate the distribution point to another XSERVE, so I could receive packages from two servers? Or do I need to change something on my NetBoot?

What do you guys use to process bulk imaging on multiple machines? Really appreciate if you guys could share some best practise with me.

Thanks a lot!

Cheers,
Fab

15 REPLIES 15

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

First, move back to casper imaging 9.22 or earlier on the NetBoot image. There are a number of known issues with Casper Imaging 9.23 and 9.24. The should be resolved by the next release. Your NetBoot limitation is probably network related. The XServe should be able to handle that easily. I use two Mac Pro's (One is netboot and one is the primary DP) and we easily push that up the my limit of 50/netboot server. We've actually done much higher but it's all about the network at that point.

What happens when you try imaging more than 15?

fabian_ulmrich
Contributor

Thanks for your reply. I have read about those issues, but they already came up with earlier versions like 9.22 as well.
Yeah, actually I am preparing a whole new XSERVE which is going to be my new NetBoot. Think the little MacMini Server isn't that performant and the HDD inside just can deliver a limited amount of data. Do you think it's better to have NetBoot and DP seperated instead of having it just on one XSERVE?

The 16th machine won't boot into my NetBoot image, although it's shown in boot menu and it shows the world during boot. After 5 minutes it shows the standard OS X Setup Assistant.

Thanks again!

tron_jones
Release Candidate Programs Tester

What do you have set for maximum connections on the Server Admin? Also what is the OS of your net boot image?

fabian_ulmrich
Contributor

Maximum connections is set to unlimited, and I also tried to set it to 100. No success! NetBoot Image is 10.9.2 and Images are 10.9.2 as well.

tron_jones

Had the same issue a while back that was fixed by following the guide:

http://www.macos.utah.edu/documentation/administration/setup_netboot_service_on_mac_os_x_10.6.x_clie...

The file worked but had a few changes that needed to be made for 10.8, might be the same for 10.9

https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=6443#responseChild33353

This worked on 10.8 images with 10.8 net boot not sure if somethings changed with 10.9

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

Great question. You do have the "diskless" option checked on the NetBoot server yes?

fabian_ulmrich
Contributor

It is checked and I created my .nbi using the same article :/

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

Do you have a 100 Mb bottle neck anywhere? (Yes, I'm just grasping here). What other info do you have? There's always a reason for everything. Could you describe your setup is a bit more detail?

tron_jones

Can you turn on high verbose logging and see anything there?

sudo serveradmin settings netboot:logging_level = "HIGH"

Then on a machine that is failing to net boot ssh in and tail the logs to see where it stops.

fabian_ulmrich
Contributor

Not that I know, but I will double check with our network engineer.

1. NetBoot (MacMini Server) OS X 10.9.2 with modified rc.netboot
  2. Using Casper Admin 9.24 (Base Image OSX 10.9.2 + several other packages and scripts)
  3. NetBoot (MacMini) is connected to Gigabit
  4. JSS DP distributing via AFP and HTTPS connected to Gigabit
  5. Machines to be imaged (MBA + Thunderbolt Ethernet Adapter) connected to Gigabit
  6. One VLAN, which is also used for all iMacs but has not that much traffic
  7. ...what am I missing or what would you like more?

Will set the logging level to HIGH. Are going to start the bulk imaging next Monday. Then I'll try what you suggest and see what the log is coming up with.

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

Sound's good so far. What are your netboot logs showing when the 16th + machine tries to netboot?

ctangora
Contributor III

So when I had to re-image an entire school I got an iMac to act as a server, attached a small raid to it, and a gig network switch. Threw them all on to a cart with a box of 30' ethernet cables.

I then named it "Octopus One".

Then I moved the cart to each lab, hooked up each machine and imaged it from the iMac. Granted it required me to be in the room to do this and to the close the lab for a few hours. But I was able to do imaging far faster this way. Yes it is a sneaker net. Yes it is not as sexy as a pure network based solution. But we had network issues and there was no way around it. I imaged it using Deploy Studio, but I am sure that you could come up with a way to do this with Casper, or just use Deploy Studio an add the quick add as a package.

While this may not be the solution you are looking for, this solved the problem for me. It turned a three week project into a 3 day project.

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

Yep, I know a few places that have to do that. There've even been threads all about setting up external HDDs to either image with DeployStudio or Casper Imaging. After having spent years using the semi-portable server/switch configuration (I would hide in a room with hundreds of laptops eating pizza and drinking coffee) I've come to two hard conclusions:

1) Having a good fast network infrastructure and proper imaging tools beats all
and
2) If I had to do it all over again (Without said network/imaging tools)... I'd use a bunch of external drives. From a cost/simplicity standpoint anyways.

Fortunately there are many many ways to skin this particular cat. There must be something going on to limit you to 15 connections. The last time I had those types of performance issues it was... in fact with both NetRestore and DeployStudio running through a cheap netgear gig switch. So, in this case I'd simply buy 16 port switches and call it a day.

OK, I've had some thoughts. I will make another post below in case readers have become board by now and scanned down the page.

P.S. "Octopus One" has a nice ring to it.

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

When you're imaging check Activity Monitor or any other utility you have to show how much network traffic you've got during that period. Could you post those numbers up?

On both the XServe and the Mini

fabian_ulmrich
Contributor

Thanks for all the ideas. Last year I also used Deploy Studio to just blank install an OS X, but for my school I have to image many different configurations and teachers want us, that most of the software students use, is already on the machines.

Anyways, you guys are right...there must be a reason for that. I'll try all your suggestions on Monday when I am going to image the first stack and will also post the logs, which are now activated. And hopefully I can get some new Hardware in as well.