How to update spotify automatically?

fmiskic
New Contributor

Is there a way in self service to update spotify automatically. Or at the very least package/script the policy to always pull and install the latest version?

11 REPLIES 11

jackbowers01
New Contributor

Yeah, I am trying to figure this out too. How would we go about doing this? It prompts users for the admin login each time Spotify is launched to update. How can we allow the user to auto update?

MtAyr
New Contributor

I have this question also. Students are always coming in for a password when Spotify updates. Can it be added to Patch Management?

Socialblue
New Contributor

Would really love to have this as well.

larry_barrett
Valued Contributor

I stopped allowing the app. They can use the web browser player and leave me out of it.

https://open.spotify.com/

ThierryD
New Contributor III

Can't we modify a .plist or something ?

tlarkin
Honored Contributor

Gonna have to plug AutoPKG again:

autopkg search spotify

Name                        Repo                  Path                                    
----                        ----                  ----                                    
Spotify.filewave.recipe     andredb90-recipes     Spotify/Spotify.filewave.recipe         
Spotify.install.recipe      homebysix-recipes     Spotify/Spotify.install.recipe          
Spotify.pkg.recipe          homebysix-recipes     Spotify/Spotify.pkg.recipe              
Spotify.jss.recipe          jss-recipes           Spotify/Spotify.jss.recipe              
Spotify.munki.recipe        recipes               Spotify/Spotify.munki.recipe            
Spotify.download.recipe     recipes               Spotify/Spotify.download.recipe         
Spotify.LANrev.recipe       seansgm-recipes       LANrevRecipes/Spotify.LANrev.recipe     
Spotify.Absolute.recipe     seansgm-recipes       AbsoluteRecipes/Spotify.Absolute.recipe

Then you can use a tool like JSS Importer to automatically update your packages/patch your fleet with automation.

M_Tucker-JBE
New Contributor II

@tlarkin Do you have a decent guide you recommend to get AutoPKG working properly?

tlarkin
Honored Contributor

@M.Tucker-JBE the AutoPKG git repo has a great wiki that I just followed

sdamiano
Contributor II

Spotify is also in Installomator! https://github.com/scriptingosx/Installomator

user-HYjNvIRnvg
New Contributor

iOS
Go to Settings.
Tap iTunes & App Store.
Switch App Updates on. Android
Open the Google Play Store.
Search Spotify.
Tap the three dots in the top right.
Check Auto-update.
But sometimes I do not want to update it too often since I need to convert Spotify to MP3 with tools like TunesKit Spotify Music Converter.

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

I just created this script today because I was disappointed that the Spotify "installer" available on their website just downloads whatever the latest version is from their site. I wanted something that was more easily deployable. It has the benefit of being a single script that covers both intel and arm CPUs. And it turned out that when I put this script in a Payload-free package, it can be used with Jamf's patch management!

#!/bin/bash

# hardware architecture check. Possible answers are "arm" or "i386"
CPU=$(uname -p)
echo "hardware architecture is $CPU . Installing $CPU version of Spotify"

# arm64 installation
arm_install()
{
	curl -L https://download.scdn.co/SpotifyARM64.dmg > /Users/Shared/SpotifyARM64.dmg 
	hdiutil attach /Users/Shared/SpotifyARM64.dmg 
	cp -R /Volumes/Spotify/Spotify.app /Applications/ 
	chown -R root:wheel /Applications/Spotify.app
	chmod -R 755 /Applications/Spotify.app
	hdiutil detach /Volumes/Spotify/ 
	sleep 3 
	rm -Rf /Users/Shared/SpotifyARM64.dmg
}

# intel installation
intel_install()
{
	curl -L https://download.scdn.co/Spotify.dmg > /Users/Shared/Spotify.dmg 
	hdiutil attach /Users/Shared/Spotify.dmg 
	cp -R /Volumes/Spotify/Spotify.app /Applications/ 
	chown -R root:wheel /Applications/Spotify.app
	chmod -R 755 /Applications/Spotify.app
	hdiutil detach /Volumes/Spotify/ 
	sleep 3 
	rm -Rf /Users/Shared/Spotify.dmg
}

if [ "$CPU" == arm ]
	then arm_install
	else intel_install
fi

echo "Finished installing $CPU version of Spotify"

exit 0

I'm sure it could use some fine adjustments, but it works as-is... at least until they either change the URL or the package names.  [EDIT: I did have -noverify on the hdiutil command because during my testing, It caused errors. But I just realized that the errors were from a previous method I was using. I removed -noverify since it works as-is now]