HTTP Distribution Point

tuinte
Contributor III

Hey all:

So i have a 10.6 server working as, among other things, a distribution point. It's working fine over AFP, but I'm trying to set it up as HTTP.

The problem is, it only seems to work if I set Everyone permissions to Read on the CasperShare. I may be misunderstanding something, but I thought selecting, in the JSS, "Username & Password Auth is Required" and entering the casperinstall user creds I have, would have the JSS authenticate via those and be able to grab whatever it needed. As it stands, that errors out. If I add Everyone back in and give them Read, it works perfectly fine.

I can't give Everyone read permissions as the box is also our main file server and CasperShare will show as a mountable volume and, well, give everyone access to everything.

Love how helpful everyone is here. Thanks in advance for any responses.

Michael

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

nkalister
Valued Contributor

You've got 2 options- remove kerberos from the equation or give everyone read rights. If neither of those can be done on the server that's currently housing your DP then you'll need to move the DP to a different server where you can do that.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

nkalister
Valued Contributor

kerberized server? i've found my client machines will use the currently logged in user's kerberos ticket before the casperinstall credentials if the ticket is valid and present.

tuinte
Contributor III

It is indeed a kerberized server. How do you work around this?

nkalister
Valued Contributor

You've got 2 options- remove kerberos from the equation or give everyone read rights. If neither of those can be done on the server that's currently housing your DP then you'll need to move the DP to a different server where you can do that.

tuinte
Contributor III

Hey, sorry for the delay in responding.

In many ways, yours is the answer I did not want to hear. But now I know.

Thanks,

Michael