Image partitions (MacHD + Recovery HD)

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

We recently upgraded from JSS 9.65 to 9.81 and now I hope to use the feature added in 9.7 that lets me capture both the Macintosh HD and Recovery HD partitions at the same time with Composer. I've captured one such setup and now I need to figure out how to put it into the image configuration. How do I set the partition in Casper Admin? Will it automatically know what to do? Previously when i had to capture 2 separate partitions, it made sense to set the partition sizes, but now that I capture both of them at the same time, and I only have a single .dmg file, I'm not sure how to proceed. I've looked in the admin guide but it's weak on details.
-AutoDMG is not an option, so please keep that recommendation to yourself. :-)

3 REPLIES 3

psliequ
Contributor III

The recovery partition is laid down automatically without having to set any particular partition scheme in an imaging config.

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

@psliequ is correct, it's completely automatic assuming you've captured it alongside your OS in composer, which you've done. With two exceptions that is:

1) You must use compatible version of Casper Imaging (I think 9.73 was the first to support creation of the recovery partition from a Composer .dmg? someone help me out here). I'm sure you're upgrading your nbi(s) but I'd hate to assume.

2) You CANNOT compile a configuration AND get a recovery partition. If you Compile your configuration for distribution it WILL work just fine, with the exception that it will not do anything to an existing recovery partition nor will it create one.

GabeShack
Valued Contributor III

I have been using the "Create Recovery Partition Installer" to create an install for the recovery partition since this change since I use compiled images as well. Its great. Just set it to install after reboot to work and so far have had no issues.

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools