Indexiing stuck?

itteam
New Contributor

I set a dmg of the OS indexing. iThe progress bar has gone all they way across - it went all the way in about 20 minutes but has been showing as "indexing **.dmg for the last 3 hours. How do i know if its completed? The package is 7.75GB's.
Thanks John9e31b505ccdd4aaebf1962d5f7240905

6 REPLIES 6

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

I would kill the whole process anyways. Perhaps it's running, perhaps it isn't. The big question is, does that include an OS? I mean the name makes it look like it does. If that's the case, what do you hope to gain by indexing the .dmg?

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

Sorry, I just re-read your post. Since this contains an OS I really wouldn't bother indexing the .dmg regardless. The index itself will take up extra space in your MySQL database and you will not see any benefit form it at all. Indexing .dmg's allows you to uninstall said .dmg via a policy. And you're not going to be able to uninstall the OS via simple JSS "uninstall" policy anyways.

The next question is... what else did you stick in that .dmg?

itteam
New Contributor

Hi chris, thanks for your response.
it finally finished after 6 hours?? it is just the OS - nothing else. I indexed it as when we had our training im sure the trainer told us to - but i may have got that wrong. Now its indexed, can i unindex it? or just leave it?
Cheers
John

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@itteam You don't need to Index OS.dmg's

mpermann
Valued Contributor II

@itteam what we were told was to only index something that you might want to use Casper to uninstall. Generally, you aren't going to want to uninstall the OS. I rarely uninstall stuff using Casper so I generally don't index anything. When I do need to uninstall something I usually just use a script to accomplish the removal. But I have indexed a few things and removed them with Casper without issue just to test the functionality.

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

Well, now that it's indexed I wouldn't worry about it. Eventually you will make another one and just skip the indexing. But now you know, and knowing is half the battle.