Install macOS Big Sur.pkg Upload Issue

gary_owen
New Contributor II

Is anyone having a issue uploading Big Sur (11.6) to Jamf Pro (Version 10.32.2).

I have created the pkg file using the MegaPKGr.zsh script as I have done for previous versions and uploaded the package to my Jamf cloud instance, although the blue indicator bar travels the full 100%, it just seems to sit at that point and never puts the pkg in our depository ?

The file is obviously big at around 12.44GB and I don’t have issue uploading other pkg’s so wondering if a issue with just us or anyone else.

Thanks for any help.

12 REPLIES 12

jbisgett
Contributor II

I highly recommend https://scriptingosx.com/2021/06/download-full-installer/ for retrieving the InstallAssistant pkg for BigSur. I'm not on Jamf Cloud, but the package generated uploads to my local dp and AWS instance without issue.

Hugonaut
Valued Contributor II

haven't experienced this issue & I've used megapkgr with 11.6 with multiple successful uploads to various jamf cloud instances. For troubleshooting sake, try uploading the 11.6 InstallAssistant.pkg from Mr.Macintosh - https://mrmacintosh.com/macos-big-sur-full-installer-database-download-directly-from-apple/

Virtual MacAdmins Monthly Meetup - First Friday, Every Month

gary_owen
New Contributor II

Thanks for the heads up on the app, I have used that and downloaded from it but its the same issue uploading to Jamf, maybe a issue with the file sizes, I have reached out to support to see if they can advise further.

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

Try renaming the file and uploading it. Due to the file size it may be stuck in the database portion of the upload process. 

cslemp
New Contributor II

This is what support suggested I try first and it seemed to solve the problem.  I ended up using the Packages web-uploader built into the JSS.  I suspect the original issue was caused by JAMF Admin failing the very first time I attempted an upload.

garybidwell
Contributor III

Ive uploaded both macOS Big Sur 11.6 and MacOS Monterey 12.0beta6 to our Jamf Cloud (10.30.1) using MegaPKGr with no issues (it does sit there for ages processing, so I normally leave it uploading over night, but it shows as b being completed fine by the morning).
Doesn't help your situations, but at least you know its possible

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

@Hugonaut yes that's the one I'm trying to upload, the 11.6 install package from Mr. Macintosh.

It completes the file upload process and it just sits at the package upload screen with the blue upload bar at 100%. So the pkg never gets uploaded. The cancel and save button  stay there and I click save a second time and it starts the upload blue progress bar all over again. 

Before it was 11.2 but it finally worked.

Hopefully eventually it will work.

I've seen issues where people  did the upgrade from system preferences software updates and like 90%  through  the process is just stops , we don't know what is going on but eventually I have to wipe the system and reinstall from scratch so that's why I wanna get the packages up on the server  so if they want to upgrade I could push the 11.6 app package  to  a users computer and hopefully it prevents any further of these dead Bug Sur upgrades from happening. 

gary_owen
New Contributor II

Thats the same situation I'm in, I have a open ticket with Jamf Support on the issue so maybe try reaching out to them, my ticket number if you want to cross reference with them is 3235242.

cslemp
New Contributor II

Have you heard back from JAMF Support?  I'm having the same issue with 11.6 (using the full install .pkg from Mr. Macintosh).

Figured I'd see if they told you anything before I put in a new ticket.

- Chris

gary_owen
New Contributor II

No, not yet it’s still being worked on. 

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

I'm using the jamf pro from the web login to upload the 11.6 install package.  It's still not working

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

If you all are trying to stage the installer on a client then perhaps the erase-install script from Graham Pugh could be an alternative versus pulling it down from your dist. point? I've never had good luck putting large multi gigabyte files on mine as it either fails outright or it gets into this weird half stage some of you are experiencing now.

https://github.com/grahampugh/erase-install/wiki