So, having fun with Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop App installer. With no changes to configuration, we are now getting this error consistently. I have created a new package installer via Adobe Admin and uploaded it via JAMF Admin.
JAMF version 10.17.1. Installing via DEP or /enroll. End OS 10.15.
FWIW: Also getting errors downloading packages via curl. Only in those cases, the download is always incomplete. Trying to download Office, but the install runs/fails before the download is complete.
All other policies are working as expected/configured.
Seeing the same here too. Looks like only on Adobe and Microsoft Office packages right now as well. We did have some changes in my environment - I updated ngnix from 1.17.6_0 to 1.17.8_0 on our distribution points as part of our normal patching, and we just updated to Jamf Pro 10.18.0 on our application server.
I was able to download the packages from my distribution points with the direct URL using Chrome on the systems in question. However, now I'm seeing the XProtectService take a very long time scanning the Adobe package (it's in a "verifying" state in the Finder) when I attempted to open the package to install it manually.
Could be a combination of things going on...
Seeing the same issue on Jamf Pro 10.18 when attempting to install a Microsoft Word package.
Edit: It worked after flushing the error and running jamf policy. Maybe it was an unstable network connection.