Installing Casper Suite on Windows Server 2012

djricks
New Contributor

Dear all,

We have just purchase Casper for our MDM and are primarily a Microsoft windows network. I know it's recommended to install Casper on Server 2008 but I have recently setup a 2012 server and obviously want to keep my applications running on the most recent OS if possible. Will this make tech support difficult/impossible in future, if I have tech issues am I just going to be making things difficult for myself and left unsupported? Or will the software simply just not work on 2012 at the moment? Any input greatly appreciated
Thanks
Duncan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

I would think that even if it's not on Jamf's officially blessed list, someone in Jamf's Dev has been testing it out on it.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

I haven't run 2012 server, but I'd say Casper is pretty platform independent. As long as the required pieces all run on the OS, the OS is pretty much left out of the equation. If you can get Java 1.6 (though preferably 1.7 going forward) Tomcat 7 and MySQL 5.5 running on it and you should be fine.

djricks
New Contributor

Thanks for the reply, I going though my jumpstart training today and going to try 2012. I'll update everyone on how it goes in case people ask similar in future
Thanks

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

I would think that even if it's not on Jamf's officially blessed list, someone in Jamf's Dev has been testing it out on it.

rickgmac
Contributor

I have it running at 2 client sites with 2012 Server. Works a treat!

tlarkin
Honored Contributor

Hi Everyone,

I just want to point out that our installers support specific OS versions. All that you need to run the server side of our product you can install and configure manually. The downside to the manual installs is that you have to manually upgrade for future versions. For Windows Server we do have a MSI file that will install our components and you can use it for upgrades when a new MSI file is released. Manual installs you will have to drop the ROOT.war file yourself manually.

So, the supported versions reflects more so of the installer itself rather than our product being compatible with a particular server OS. I am sure there are snags with certain *nix distributions and perhaps older versions of OS X and Windows Server, so always test it out before you deploy.

Thanks,
Tom

djricks
New Contributor

Well my install after running it for a few weeks is running fine, just got a little problem with the backup of the db but don't think that's got anything to do with the host OS and I'll post in another topic for that!
thanks

szeljkovic
New Contributor

Does anyone have a link to instruct me how to install jss 9 on windoes server 2012?

Thank you