Installing certificates in Yosemite

chris_miller
Contributor

I am trying to install the certificate for our firewall into the system keychains on my local users. Our firewall uses deep packet inspection on encrypted traffic and the cert needs to be in place to prevent errors.

I created a pkg to upload the cert to the computer and then used a script I obtained here to install it. I get the following error.

I'm looking for advice to modify the script or develop a successful workflow to install the cert properly.

Script result: Importing CA Cert...

WARNING

The keychain you are accessing, X509Anchors, is no longer
used by Mac OS X as the system root certificate store.
Please read the security man page for information on the add-trusted-cert command. New system root certificates should
be added to the Admin Trust Settings domain and to the System keychain in /Library/Keychains.

Here is a copy of the script:

!/bin/sh

########################################################################################

# Copyright (c) 2010, JAMF Software, LLC. All rights reserved.

Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without

modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:

* Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright

notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.

* Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright

notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the

documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.

* Neither the name of the JAMF Software, LLC nor the

names of its contributors may be used to endorse or promote products

derived from this software without specific prior written permission.

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY JAMF SOFTWARE, LLC "AS IS" AND ANY

EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED

WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE

DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL JAMF SOFTWARE, LLC BE LIABLE FOR ANY

DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES

(INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES;

LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND

ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT

(INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS

SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

########################################################################################

# SUPPORT FOR THIS PROGRAM

This program is distributed "as is" by JAMF Software, LLC's Resource Kit team. For more

information or support for the Resource Kit, please utilize the following resources:

http://list.jamfsoftware.com/mailman/listinfo/resourcekit

http://www.jamfsoftware.com/support/resource-kit

Please reference our SLA for information regarding support of this application:

http://www.jamfsoftware.com/support/resource-kit-sla

# ABOUT THIS PROGRAM

NAME

importCACert.sh -- Import CA Certficate to the System Keychain.

SYNOPSIS

sudo importCACert.sh

sudo importCACert.sh <mountPoint> <computerName> <currentUsername> <caCertLocation>

If no hardcoded values are specified for the above parameters, and there is a value

passed for the parameters by the Casper Suite, the values passed will apply.

If there are hardcoded values specified for the above parameters, those values will

supersede any value passed by the Casper Suite.

The value specified for "caCertLocation" should be a path to the certificate, formatted in the

".pem" format on a machine. It is assumed that this script is being run after deploying the

CA certificate via a package to a location such as "/Library/Application Support/JAMF" on the

machine.

# DESCRIPTION

This script will import a ".pem" or ".cer" certificate from a given location on the machine to the system

keychain. This script assumes the following workflow is taking place:

1.) Create a package of the ".pem" or ".cer" formatted certificate being deployed to a location such as:

# "/Library/Application Support/JAMF"

2.) Upload the package to Casper Admin

3.) Edit the "caCertLocation" variable located within this script to reflect the location of

the CA cert as it was packaged.

# For example, if we have a certficate named "CompanyCA.cer"

that was packaged to be installed to "/Library/Application Support/JAMF", we would set the

"caCertLocation" variable to "/Library/Application Support/JAMF/CompanyCA.cer"

# 4.) Upload the script to Casper Admin and ensure that a script priority of "After" is selected

5.) Create a policy that will install the package containing the CA cert and run this script

after installing the package.

###################################################################################################

# HISTORY

Version: 1.0

- Created by Nick Amundsen on October 13, 2010

# DEFINE VARIABLES & READ IN PARAMETERS

HARDCODED VALUES ARE SET HERE

caCertLocation="/Library/Application Support/Fortinet/Fortinet_CA_SSLProxy.cer" #Example: "/Library/Application Support/JAMF/CompanyCA.pem"

CHECK TO SEE IF A VALUE WAS PASSED IN PARAMETER 4 AND, IF SO, ASSIGN TO "caCertLocation"

if [ "$4" != "" ] && [ "$caCertLocation" == "" ];then caCertLocation=$4
fi

# SCRIPT CONTENTS - DO NOT MODIFY BELOW THIS LINE

OS=/usr/bin/defaults read /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion ProductVersion | awk '{print substr($1,1,4)}'

if [ "$caCertLocation" == "" ] || [ ! -f "$caCertLocation" ]; then echo "Error: No value was specified for the caCertLocation variable or the file does not exist. Please specify a value for the variable or ensure that you are running this script after installing the certificate." exit 1
fi

if [[ "$OS" < "10.5" ]]; then echo "Importing CA Cert..." /usr/bin/certtool i "$caCertLocation" v k=/System/Library/Keychains/X509Anchors
else echo "Importing CA Cert..." /usr/bin/security add-trusted-cert -d -r trustRoot -k /Library/Keychains/System.keychain "$caCertLocation"
fi

5 REPLIES 5

chris_miller
Contributor

The script runs and installs, I'm just not sure if it puts the cert in all the places needed by the firewall. The error message indicates that it also needs to be put in the browser settings as well, which makes sense.

jonnydford
Contributor II

Any reason why you're not using a configuration profile for this? Could be easier in the long run.

mjsanders
New Contributor III

The problem is your scripts will recognise 10.10.5 or 10.11.1 as 10.1 , and thus try to import into the x509anchors file as it should for versions below 10.5....

For 10.11 and 10.10.x change the last part of this line:

/usr/bin/defaults read /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion ProductVersion | awk '{print substr($1,1,4)}

to

awk '{print substr($1,1,5)}

(I checked on my 10.11 system, the first line will output 10.1 .....)
then make an other check to make sure it will work for 10.8 and 10.9 too... I leave that to you...

Why not use a profile instead? that will work easier

leonelsbecker
New Contributor

Error is still there Chris. Just an FYI.

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Just +3 to the profile suggestions.