installing iPad Apps via JSS/Apple Configurator

JoeRivas
New Contributor

JSS 9.73
iOS iPad 9.0.1
Mac Mini OS 10.10.5
Apple Configurator 1.7.1

I am using a Mac Mini running Apple Configurator to Supervise 30 iPads. I have free APPS that are installed via Apple Configurator, as well as the Wifi Profile and a few other settings. No Problems here

I have a config profile that is delivered via Apple Configurator that enrolls the iPads with our JSS. I see the iPads in the JSS and can send a Printer Config Profile to them. This works great.

The Chemistry Department here had me purchase Vernier LabQuest Viewer, 30 license. I used our VPP to make the purchase. I opted for the MDM version and not the separate codes. In the JSS, I see the APP (30 of them).

I was under the impression that I would then be able to deliver these APPS to these iPads, from the JSS. The iPads are enrolled with in the JSS?

I went to Mobile Devices >Apps>and created a profile there for L:ab Quest Viewer and have the iPads in the Scope.

I have tried having it set to Install Automatically and Self Service, but either way nothing happens.

I see the App in the Self Service client on the iPad, but when I click on it, it stays in a Pending state.

What am I missing?

13 REPLIES 13

mpermann
Valued Contributor II

With that version of the JSS you can assign the app to a user but not a device. With JSS 9.81 you should be able to assign an app to a device. But since 9.81 hasn't been released yet I can't say that for certain. I know that device based assignment is coming to the JSS. I'm just not certain with what version.

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

What @mpermann said

Also, when you configure the app make sure you check 'Make app managed when possible'.

App developers will have to Opt In to device assignment of VPP apps, so each developer will need to change their settings and then generate a new app version once it is all ready behind the scenes with Apple.

chris

smith_kyle
New Contributor III

You can push managed apps out to a device, but I believe the device needs to be supervised by the JSS. Here's how:

1) Assign apps to the user's apple IDs that are signed in on the devices
2) In the App Catalog, make sure "install automatically," and "make app managed when possible" are selected, and then scope it to the devices.

It should start doing a silent install on the devices.

JoeRivas
New Contributor

thank you @mpermann, @cdenesha and @smith.kyle

I have the iPad supervised via Apple Configurator and I am using one Apple ID for the store on that Mac Mini. All 30 iPads get the two apps that I have got through the apps store (they are free apps).

The iPads do not have separate Apple ID's. they are clones of each other, with only the machine name different. This is a Student Lab Environment that we want everyone to get the same look and feel. The iPads are checked IN/Out at the start/end of each class.

Should I just try and work with Apple to give me the codes instead of having the JSS deliver APP?

mpermann
Valued Contributor II

@JoeRivas if I were using Apple Configurator to manage the free apps on the iPad then I would probably just use VPP Codes and deploy the App using Apple Configurator as well.

JoeRivas
New Contributor

@mpermann then I guess that is what I will do. Thank you all for your assistance.

Nick_Gooch
Contributor III

Or wait until tomorrow and assign the app to the device through JSS after updating to 9.81.... Assuming it's released with 10.11 as usual....

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

After rereading... The VPP Managed Distribution licenses are intended for 1:1 deployments, not carts or shared devices.

It would be easier to stick with VPP codes. However If VPP support does not want to convert the license to codes...

Then you will need to add the app on the User side in Casper. You will create a user with your one Apple ID and Invite it to VPP, and will need to accept that invitation on a device. This gets the app into the Purchased history of the Apple ID. You will need to log into each iPad with that Apple ID and can just install it from the App Store then and don't need to configure the app on the Mobile Device side. I think the reason it is Pending is because the iPads are not logged into the iTunes Store. If they were, then you would be getting a prompt to purchase the app.

Nick_Gooch
Contributor III

Or just wait until today (assuming 9.81 is released) and assign the app to the device instead of to a user. I believe, as well as our apple rep, that this is how all apps should be distributed from here on out, cart or 1-1.

With iOS 9 and an MDM that supports it (Casper will with the next version from what they say.) you can assign apps to a device instead of to a user and install apps without an apple id even being on the iPad. If I were you I would just wait until today, update the JSS when it's released and deploy the app that way. I'm sure it would be faster then contacting apple support to have the managed distribution apps converted to codes.

Configurator still has it's place but I don't feel app assignment is one of them. It sounds like you will be able to side load apps assigned from MDM with configurator 2 but I haven't had a chance to play with it.

Nick_Gooch
Contributor III

Here you go... Update the JSS to 9.81. Under Mobile Devices > Apps go to the app you want to deploy and select the VPP tab. Check the box "Assign VPP Content". The app is now assigned to the device stead of to a user and can be deployed with install automatically or through self service.

nsdjoe
Contributor II

Just thought I'd let everyone know that last week I was successful in enrolling a few hundred devices via DEP using Apple Configurator 2 and deploying apps to devices via JSS using VPP Managed Distribution. I summarized and posted my workflow here: https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=17323.

Hope this helps!
~Joe

locolyric
New Contributor II

can we do app push without vpp or dep involved? Because Apple haven't launch these program in my country yet.

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

@locolyric You can push it but without VPP the user will be prompted for their apple ID to purchase it