Intermitten Pauses in the JSS Web Console

bmarks
Contributor II

I recently completed a project standing up a new JSS, and as part of that process we migrated to a new database. So, everything is pretty clean at this point. Additionally, I used the knowledge gained in the CJA class to make sure I am using the proper scaling settings for Tomcat, MySQL, Java, etc. I also used JAMF's resource guidelines document as a good starting point when making initial decisions for CPU, RAM, etc.

With that said, I am experiencing periodic pauses when navigating the web console. The delays seem most pronounced when browsing the configuration profile section. For example, if I create a new configuration profile and just start clicking around the different payloads, I'll start experiencing pauses of a second or two all the way up to 30 seconds or more.

I have been working with our TAM and I have been working with our local database team (whose expertise is not in MySQL) but I haven't made much progress. I am wondering where to look next. I haven't added any policies other than ones associated with our imaging workflow, and other than check-ins, the main load of this JSS is from about 30+ imaging labs across the globe.

A quick description of our JSS would be: Two RHEL JSS VM's in our DMZ, One RHEL JSS VM Internal, One RHEL VM for MySQL. They all have 12 CPU's and 16GB of RAM. They should all be in the same datacenter.

I know each JSS is unique, but I'm running out of ideas. Thoughts?

3 REPLIES 3

thoule
Valued Contributor II

Are you using local accounts? or LDAP/AD? Try a local account created on the JSS....

bmarks
Contributor II

Access to our JSS is controlled by using AD groups, and the group that contains my user is in a group that has full admin access.

So, I logged as our local admin for the sake of comparison, and I actually do think the responsiveness is much faster. I'm trying hard to make sure this isn't a placebo effect.

Test 1, logged in as me: If I create a dummy profile with a few payloads and I click "cancel," then it takes about 10 seconds to cancel.
Test 2: Do the same steps as step 1, but logged in as local admin, cancel is instant.

That's a super simple scenario, but it's indicative of the overall issues I'm having when navigating the Policies and/or Configuration Profiles sections of our JSS.

bmarks
Contributor II

@thoule Out of curiosity, what led you to ask that question? I've tested this over a number of days and I notice a significant difference (local admin vs. LDAP admin) so I'm pretty sure it's not a placebo effect.