Inventory Search for 10.7 Compatible Computers - Total RAM not working

thuibregtse
New Contributor

Here is what I am trying to accomplish - I want to create an Inventory Search for 10.7 compatible computers. Here is what I did.....

Create a search for computers that have:

Processor Type like Core 2 Duo
or
Processor Type like Core i3
or
Processor Type like Core i5
or
Processor Type like Core i7
or
Processor Type like Xeon
and
Total RAM more than 2

The processor type appears to be returning the correct results but I am seeing results with 1 GB of ram. I tried adding the "GB" in the search so it read Total RAM more than 2 GB but that didn't appear to work either.

Any ideas?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

thomasC
Contributor

Inventory Search Criteria

Hardware Information : Total RAM: more than 2047
and
Processor Type: not like: Core Duo

You could add not like: PPC if you still have them around. This works for me anyway.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

rockpapergoat
Contributor III

those criteria worked for me. it's still sort of a clunky way to perform the search, though. i used an explicit "2 GB" for the RAM field.

thuibregtse
New Contributor

Thanks for the response. I tried it with the quotes, but i still receive incorrect results. I was thinking, if push comes to shove i could create an extension attribute that would only return the number, and leave out the MB or GB. i assume this is part of the problem? but if what i did above is clunky already, that would REALLY clunk it up!

andyinindy
Contributor II

We accomplished this by first creating a smart group to isolate macs with more than 2047 total ram. We then added this computer group membership to the list of criteria in a saved inventory search that includes the eligible processors that you listed above. This works, although I am not sure why it is not possible to just specify this in an inventory query rather than having to create a smart group for the memory spec.

--Andy

thomasC
Contributor

Inventory Search Criteria

Hardware Information : Total RAM: more than 2047
and
Processor Type: not like: Core Duo

You could add not like: PPC if you still have them around. This works for me anyway.