iOS 11.3 Pre-Release

ctarbox
Contributor II

I'm setting up some iPads and see that JAMF is pushing iOS 11.3 after wiping a device and starting fresh. Is it common practice for JAMF to push a beta? If I don't want this pre-release, how can I go about getting 11.2?

Cheryl Tarbox
Binghamton University

8 REPLIES 8

Taylor_Armstron
Valued Contributor

If 11.3 is being pushed, your server is configured to push it. JAMF (the company) doesn't push anything without permission - that's a configuration setting on your end.

ctarbox
Contributor II

Thanks for this info, Taylor. Do you know where in the settings I can control this?

Cheryl

jcarr
Release Candidate Programs Tester

If the device had the iOS 11.3 public (or developer) beta installed, an Erase all Content and Settings would not change the iOS installed.

To revert the device to the release version (iOS 11.2.6 currently), you will need to perform a Recovery Mode Restore using iTunes, or Configurator.

In order for your Jamf Pro to 'push' a beta update, you would need to download the public beta or developer beta profile from Apple and upload it to Jamf Pro and then scope it to the affected devices. This would cause them to look for beta updates rather than release updates.

If however, by 'wipe and start fresh,' you mean 'Erase all Content and Settings,' then the device likely had already been updated to the beta.

ctarbox
Contributor II

This device came from a department where is was not a NIB device, but one that had be in use and was at the Hello Screen when I received it. It is very possible that this person does have access to the Developer beta. I do know that I did not download and install the public beta to my JSS server.

I brought the iPad into JAMF via a Pre-Stage Enrollment.

I did try to wipe it via Configurator but received errors that it was controlled by another computer (parapharasing here).

I was able to wipe it via JAMF once it was enrolled, but I still ended up with iOS 11.3.

Cheryl

jcarr

Cheryl, sending the wipe command from Jamf Pro is the same as 'Erase all Content and Settings.' It does not change the version of iOS on the device. You will need to put the device into Recovery Mode and perform a restore using Configurator. This will install the current release version of iOS.

I hope this helps!

ctarbox
Contributor II

jcarr, Thank you. I will need to return this to the department where I received it and have them perform the Recovery Mode via Configurator as my Configurator (and iTunes) keeps reporting that "this iPad is being supervised by another computer and cannot be used by this computer."

jcarr

You should not see that error if the device is in Recovery Mode. You should only see that error if the device is booted when connected to Configurator.

When you connect the iPad to Configurator, do you see this image: b7f24bd80df34fb1a0feb1bb40159c66

(note image is from Apple KB and shows iPhone, not iPad, but on-screen image is similar)

If not, then the device is NOT in Recovery Mode. Disconnect and try again.

ctarbox
Contributor II

jcarr. I do know what you're saying here. I've put many an iPad into Recovery Mode. For some reason this device just will not go there with either iTunes or Configurator. Maybe it's an 11.3 Beta glitch or the new Privacy feature. Whatever it is, I am going to take it back to the original owner, have him connect it using Configurator and try to perform an Advanced --> Erase All Contents and Settings from that computer.

Thanks for all of your guidance this morning!