iOS apps reinstalling themselves (iOS 14 and 15)

GeorgeCasper
New Contributor III

We're having a problem where managed Apps keep reinstalling themselves on our iOS devices.  My understanding is that starting with iOS 14, managed apps could be deleted by end users, but my testing has revealed that iOS 14.0 and iOS 15.0 will reinstall the apps of their own accord.  Looking at Google Sheets as my test example, I have the following set:

- Install Automatically/Prompt Users To Install

Automatically Force App Updates

- Make App Managed When Possible (greyed out)

- Make App Managed if Currently Unmanaged

- Allow users to remove app (iOS 14 or later)

and in in a Configuration Profile that is assigned to the device, we have 

- Removing Apps:  Allowed

I suppose I can go to the Scope tab for the App and add an exclusion for the device in question to keep it from reinstalling itself, but that doesn't scale.  Where should I look next?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

rafgar
New Contributor II

Since you have the app configured to Install Automatically, it will automatically re-install after Jamf Pro realizes it is not in the App inventory of the mobile device.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

rafgar
New Contributor II

Since you have the app configured to Install Automatically, it will automatically re-install after Jamf Pro realizes it is not in the App inventory of the mobile device.

GeorgeCasper
New Contributor III

Crap.  Because in general, I *do* want to have all these apps preinstalled.  

I seem to recall reading somewhere that there's some sneaky way to have multiple listings for the same App, so you could have it as "install automatically" for some groups and "In Self Service" for others, but even doing that would require I know ahead of time which particular devices are going to have their users remove apps, and since my crystal ball is on the fritz... bummer.  

Hi,

I know this is a bit later as well. but you could create a configuration profile with an app restriction on it.  You can build a list of apps with "some apps NOT allowed" as the restriction. Add the users/user groups to the config scope and it should remove the apps from their devices.  I believe it sort of just "hides" the apps so if this is for storage purposes it may not be the best method.  

andersenlab
New Contributor II

Hi there! I'm glad I'm not the only one with this question. I may have gotten things mixed up, but as far as I understand, with iOS 14, managed apps became deletable by users. Yet, my tests indicate that iOS 14.0 and 15.0 will restore the deleted apps on their own. As for Comf Pro not detecting the app or crashing it, that's beyond my understanding. I'm not too tech-savvy and I'm not sure What Are Media Apps are. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!