iOS Wifi status and history

MrP
Contributor III

Does anyone know a way to see the wifi status and history of an iOS device using casper or anything else? We have a strict policy against using wifi, but being that we cannot administratively disable it we would like to see any violations.

4 REPLIES 4

sam_clark
New Contributor III

Hey Dickson,

The only way I could imagine this happening is if you could gather inventory of the MAC Addresses of the iOS devices in question and send it to your Network Admin to block these MACs on the network. The JSS on the iOS side won't be able to help you out with disabling network interfaces since commands sent through APNS require network connectivity.

Thoughts on that?

MrP
Contributor III

We don't have wifi to block them. I want to make sure they aren't connecting at home, starbucks, etc. Also, i know I cannot block the interface on the device. The question was is there a way to see what SSID's the devices have connected to.

stoneacheck
New Contributor III

@Dickson Not for iOS devices, no. You could setup an EA for Macs, but iOS is limited by what Apple lets JAMF use/see. We're on iOS 9 and Apple has never let us manage SSID history even locally on the device (like forget a network you're not nearby or set join priority, things that have been present in Mac OS for a loooong time).

Also, just cause I'm curious, does that mean every device you guys manage is cellular?

If it's for security purposes, you might also look into the managed/unmanaged sources/destinations options for content between apps in restrictions.

MrP
Contributor III

@stoneacheck Thanks for the response. Correct on the question and we have. :)