iPad in PreStage but unable to manage

mkane
New Contributor II

Hi,

I'm new at this, and unsure what happened. I've got an iPad in PreStage but did not show up as managed. When I search my inventory is it definitely not there. And my device count is off by 1, so I know its not there by this as well. It was purchased with DEP program.

And performing a reset on the iPad (General - Reset - Reset All Settings) did not do anything.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get this iPad under management?

Thank you!88d84d23b2d148a8b9dabbf3995a1912

8 REPLIES 8

atomczynski
Valued Contributor

Add it again to DEP
add it to a different PreStage temporarily and enroll

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

You should be able to just go through the Setup Assistant again and it'll enroll into Jamf, create a record, and you'll see it listed like the rest in the PreStage.

RLR
Valued Contributor

As cdenesha says. The name isn't appearing because the device has been deleted out of Jamf (deleted out of jamf is not the same as being deleted from DEP). Once you enrol it via DEP, the device will appear in Jamf and that name will be populated.

larry_barrett
Valued Contributor

Instead of Reset all Settings, choose Erase All Content and Settings, this will take you back to the Setup Assistant and you can manage it with JAMF.

mkane
New Contributor II

Ok, I understand I've got to go back through the Setup Assistant. I've used Erase All Content and Settings on other devices, but this option is mysteriously missing on this iPad... Any other tricks to get a device back to Setup Assistant? Or somehow make the erase option reappear?

RLR
Valued Contributor

Probably best off putting the iPad in DFU mode. To do this, plug the iPad into a computer. Turn the device off. Turn it back on but as you do this, hold the home button at the same time. After a few seconds the iPad should show a connect to iTunes message. You can then use Apple Configurator 2 to restore IOS onto the device.

mkane
New Contributor II

Hi all,
Thanks for all the advice. Here is ultimately what I did:
1. Turn off the iPad
2. Plugged into a PC with iTunes.
3. Responded to prompt to update the iPad

This returned the device back to the Setup Assistant, which then lead to it becoming managed in Jamf again. Can't believe how easy it ended up being! Thanks again for all the support!

sd365helpdesk
New Contributor

I realize this is an older thread but thought I'd throw my two cents in. I also had this problem after adding another 60 licenses to the school (we ran out of licenses). They refused to connect. I had to refresh the PublicKey (in JAMF Pro) and the Server Token (in Apples School Manager) before the devices would join JAMF Pro correctly. Then I was able to Reset the iPads (erase all content and settings) and they are joining correctly now and able to be managed.