iPad Kiosk Mode

John_Wetter
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Here's an interesting profile you can load on iPads... It locks the iPad into kiosk mode, much like they use in the Apple Stores.

http://zchristopoulos.com/2012/02/how-to-disable-ipad-home-button-kioskstore-demo-mode/

John

8 REPLIES 8

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

Wow that's a killer find. Thanks!

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

That's awesome! Now we know how the Apple Store does it. However, based on comments in the link, this can;'t be deployed via iPCU, and I'm guessing then, not from within Casper either since it essentially uses the same APIs.

It looks like the only real method of installation would be to post the config as a link, just as the blog author did, then navigate the iPad to the link and click it.

John_Wetter
Release Candidate Programs Tester

No reason Casper shouldn't be able to apply it as log as you keep it as the .mobileconfig.

In EDU, I think it would be an interesting twist to have a couple set up as a kiosk for parents to sign up for the school newsletters, update their contact info, etc. all in one stop. They'll come see it because it's an iPad and we'll get their updated info. Win-win.

eanderson
New Contributor

Great find! Anyone know if there are any other hidden keys we can embed into profiles?

Also, I'd like to look at the profiles that are created by Apple Configurator. Any ideas how to dissect them so they can be reverse engineered?

wangl2
Contributor

Awesome find

rob_potvin
Contributor III
Contributor III

Wow, the best thing since slice bread.

kyle_jackson
New Contributor

Anyone know if this still works in iOS 7?

bston4760
New Contributor

How secure is locking down an iPAD using kiosk mode? If the device was stolen, how difficult would it be to unlock the iPAD and access the restricted site or upload a virus to the device that then gets uploaded to the linked URL?