iPad Model Descriptors

lhscasper
Contributor

Hi All,

is it possible to change the iPad model descriptors? I'd prefer to have something more descriptive than iPad3,4 or iPad3,6 etc.

Cheers,
Chris.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

nick
Contributor
Contributor

Hey Chris,

We typically update model descriptor translations with new releases of the Casper Suite. If Apple ships new hardware between our releases, model descriptors are displayed like "iPad3,4", as you are seeing.

We'll be sure to get this updated for the next release, but you can also update it manually in the XML file on the JSS located at:

/path/to/webapp/WEB-INF/xml/mobileDeviceModels.xml

Hope this helps!

Nick

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

nick
Contributor
Contributor

Hey Chris,

We typically update model descriptor translations with new releases of the Casper Suite. If Apple ships new hardware between our releases, model descriptors are displayed like "iPad3,4", as you are seeing.

We'll be sure to get this updated for the next release, but you can also update it manually in the XML file on the JSS located at:

/path/to/webapp/WEB-INF/xml/mobileDeviceModels.xml

Hope this helps!

Nick

lhscasper
Contributor

Thanks Nick,

that looks to be exactly what I was after.

Cheers,
Chris.

lhscasper
Contributor

Hi All,

please excuse this really basic question. I've modified the XML file but the new descriptors aren't coming through. How do I get the software to re-read the XML file? I presume I need to restart the service but which service? The Tomcat service or something else?

Cheers,
Chris.

nick
Contributor
Contributor

Hey Chris,

You shouldn't need to restart any services if you were just making changes to the mobileDeviceModels.xml file, but you will probably want to check permissions on the file to ensure that it can be read by Tomcat. The user and group that need ownership on the file will vary depending on the OS you're running the JSS on.

If the JSS is running on OS X and was installed using the JSS Installer, the permissions on the file should be as follows:

-rw-r--r--    _appserver  _appserveradm   mobileDeviceModels.xml

If that doesn't do it, please contact support and we'll further troubleshoot it.

Thanks!

Nick

lhscasper
Contributor

Hi Nick,

thanks for your response. I checked the file settings but they were ok. I ended up restarting the Tomcat service (I'm on a windows server) and that reloaded the file and displays the new settings.

Cheers,
Chris.