iPad re-enrollment after deleting device record in Jamf

Olson
New Contributor III

I screwed up and deleted a students iPad device record in Jamf inventory. I tried to re-enroll the iPad with a pre-stage enrollment, restoring from the students iCloud backup (which includes the MDM profile). After the re-enroll & restore, the device said it was re-enrolled with the right date and time, but was not showing up in the inventory. I was having support help me with this since I've not done something like this in awhile. They pushed it to their next level. I had forgot you cannot re-enroll and restore a backup with an MDM profile to the same device. I wish I understood why.

My typical scenario is I restore an iCloud backup with an MDM profile to a replacement device as a result of cracked screen, but the new device has not been enrolled in Jamf. It works fine. Anyway, if I restore his backup to a different iPad, should that iPad enroll properly and show up in the inventory?Can that iPad have been previously enrolled in Jamf? I'd prefer to reuse an existing iPad vs. handing out a new one.

2 REPLIES 2

Olson
New Contributor III

Is it necessary to do the process where I:
1) restore the iCloud backup with the MDM profile on iPadA, to an iPadB that's not been enrolled in JAMF,
2) then do an iCloud backup of iPadB. As I recall this backup won't have the MDM profile.
3) then re-enroll iPadA and restore the iCloud backup from step2.

Olson
New Contributor III

I answered my own question. Yes