iPad Screen View in Classroom...broken, with a certain Restriction payload

alex_wyatt
New Contributor II

Hey folks,

I just wanted to make sure everyone knew about an issue that flummoxed me, which also surprised the Jamf support folks that I worked with. I ultimately had to submit a bug report through Apple, and their reply has me near fuming

We've had several students recently whose iPads showed as Online in Apple Classroom, but whose screens could not be viewed. If you attempted to view them, they would suddenly show as being offline. According to Apple, this is not but bug, but rather it's "expected behavior"...when you uncheck the box in the Restrictions payload for "Allow screenshots and screen recording"

Yes, Apple has decided that if kids aren't allowed to take a screenshot on their iPads (for example, to snap the content of a quiz for future distribution), it means that admins (which, for all intents and purposes, teachers with the Classroom app are, in a limited capacity) should not be able to view the iPad screens. I just cannot understand the logic here. Maybe someone on the forum can explain it to me, but as far as I can tell, there's no justification for a user's ability to perform a task impacting an admin's ability to perform a tangentially-related one

If this also bothers you, I recommend you send feedback to Apple about it, to get it changed. I sent it for both Classroom and iPad, though I have a feeling Classroom is more appropriate

1 REPLY 1

jpatten
New Contributor

Agree.. and requested this to be changed.