iPads Supervised by AppleConfig2, Existing Profiles and Self Service after Restore?

ruschg
New Contributor II

Warning noob alert, macadmin thoughts appreciated:

In our environment, we have a mixture of DEP and "prior to" DEP iPads in the wild. The DEP iPads have no problem pulling down a Profile and Self Service after a reset to factory. Alternatively, "prior to" DEP iPads, which were supervised with Apple Configurator 2, do not pull down the Profile and Self Service after a restore.

Has anyone come up with a way for such "prior to DEP" / non-DEP devices to stay connected to the JSS after a reset, or must it be "prepared" again using Apple Configurator 2 once again?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

bburdeaux
Contributor II

It sounds like you're using a prestage enrollment with your DEP iPads, so I'll go from there. There isn't a way to automate the re-enrollment of non-DEP devices, but you can automate profile and app installations once they are re-enrolled by creating a smart group to catch these non-DEP devices and scoping the profiles and apps to that group. You would still need to use AC2 to enroll them, but this takes some of the work out of the process.

Of course, the cleanest solution is always to bring the non-DEP devices into DEP so they can leverage the prestage enrollments, but I know that's not always possible.

As a side note, have you created a supervision identity to share between Configurator 2 and the JSS? It's not essential by any means, but it does mean that all devices, regardless of how they get surpervised, are supervised under the same identity. You can create the identity in either platform, and then import it to the other. You can check the admin guide and this technical paper for more detailed help.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

bburdeaux
Contributor II

It sounds like you're using a prestage enrollment with your DEP iPads, so I'll go from there. There isn't a way to automate the re-enrollment of non-DEP devices, but you can automate profile and app installations once they are re-enrolled by creating a smart group to catch these non-DEP devices and scoping the profiles and apps to that group. You would still need to use AC2 to enroll them, but this takes some of the work out of the process.

Of course, the cleanest solution is always to bring the non-DEP devices into DEP so they can leverage the prestage enrollments, but I know that's not always possible.

As a side note, have you created a supervision identity to share between Configurator 2 and the JSS? It's not essential by any means, but it does mean that all devices, regardless of how they get surpervised, are supervised under the same identity. You can create the identity in either platform, and then import it to the other. You can check the admin guide and this technical paper for more detailed help.

ruschg
New Contributor II

@bburdeaux thank you for your response. You have confirmed my thoughts.

If I may ask, how could one bring the "non-DEP devices into DEP"?

bburdeaux
Contributor II

@ruschg If they were purchased directly from Apple, they can be imported in the ASM or ADP portal, by serial numbers or by order numbers. Over the last year or so I've managed to get a large majority of our older devices into DEP, mostly just using either individual serial numbers, or .csv lists of serials. We've always bought everything direct from Apple, so I don't have any experience with this, but there are some cases where devices bought from resellers can be put in DEP as well. If that is the case for you, I'd ask your Apple rep for the specifics.

ruschg
New Contributor II

@bburdeaux Brillant - just found the link in ASM. Thanks a bunch!