Is anyone else having issues with Java in Mac OS?

compro
New Contributor III

It seems that Java removes itself multiple times per day from client machines. I am pushing the latest version, but at various points throughout the day, suddenly, Safari will report a missing plugin until I reinstall Java. This is happening on my Mac as well as other client Macs. I cannot find any information as to what could be causing it, and I don't have any workaround. If anyone else is experiencing this or has any information on how to work around this, I'd appreciate it. Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4

kturnbeaugh
New Contributor III

Were you having this same issue before the latest version was installed? If not, have you tried removing the most recent version, and installing the older version to see if the issue persists?

We've had some luck with installing the latest version our applications support, as well as the version Apple Supports, especially when it comes to issues with Java and Safari. https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1572?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

You can remove the Java plugin by doing a search in spotlight for javaAppletPlugin.plugin and then opening in Finder and deleting it.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

This sounds suspiciously like you have a policy enabled that's removing the plug-in somehow, or overwriting it with an old version perhaps? If you haven't done so already, I would check your JSS for any policies that have run on these Macs to see if something that is enabled is doing it.

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

Agreed. I've seen nothing on this and would suspect an errant policy somewhere.

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

P.S. Check your policy logs on a unit (like yours) that you're seeing this on. This should tell you if there's an obvious policy running. hopefully you'll find it right away and not have to dig. ;-)