is there any way to create a dashboard which shows all apps installed in a user machine from Jamf

Yashwanth
New Contributor

Hi Team,
wanted to check if there is any way to create a dashboard in Jamf Pro which shows all apps installed in a user machine and status of apps (like running/not running/last opened/modified)

Regards,
Yaswanth

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

You would need a 3rd party tool like splunk to create custom dashboards. 

The only way to view installed Apps on a device is in its inventory record, and only apps installed in the /Applications directories. 

status of apps (like running/not running/last opened/modified)

This is something that is beyond Apples MDM Framework. Its not that JAMF cannot have extension attributes written to gather this information for a few critical applications, but this is well beyond what JAMF should be doing. I recommend looking in to security tools for this.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

You would need a 3rd party tool like splunk to create custom dashboards. 

The only way to view installed Apps on a device is in its inventory record, and only apps installed in the /Applications directories. 

status of apps (like running/not running/last opened/modified)

This is something that is beyond Apples MDM Framework. Its not that JAMF cannot have extension attributes written to gather this information for a few critical applications, but this is well beyond what JAMF should be doing. I recommend looking in to security tools for this.

DTB_Kirky
New Contributor III

I'm sure you could create something that uses multiple Jamf API calls and use Excel to merge them.

But other than that I have a simple script to show Application Name it's status and it's last used date (if it's any use to you).

#!/bin/sh

RED='\033[0;31m'
GREEN='\033[0;32m'

for AppName in /Applications/*
do
LastUsed=$(mdls "$AppName" -name kMDItemLastUsedDate | awk '{print $3,$4}')
if [[ "$LastUsed" == "not find" || "$LastUsed" == "could not" || "$LastUsed" == "(null) " ]]; then
LastUsed=""
else
AppName=$(echo $AppName | cut -c 15- | cut -d "." -f -1)
AppStatus=$(pgrep -x "$AppName")
if [[ "$AppStatus" > 0 ]]; then
AppStatus="Running"
Colour=$GREEN
else
AppStatus="Stopped"
Colour=$RED
fi
echo -e ${Colour}$AppName: $AppStatus: $LastUsed
fi
done