Issue with adding & removing Dock Items via a policy (JSS 8.51)

Kumarasinghe
Valued Contributor

We have uploaded some dock items via Casper Admin and scoped out a policy for it. But sometimes when a user logs in some dock items will not appear and also some items we set to 'remove' will appear. This doesn't happen every time user logs in but this feature is very important for us to make a standard dock across the board.

we use JSS 8.51

6 REPLIES 6

nessts
Valued Contributor II

look into /Library/Preferences/com.apple.dockfixup.plist I think its a very easy straight forward way that seems to work quite well.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

I would consider using 'dockutil' to get better control over adding/removing dock icons. I've at times found the Casper Suite method a little unreliable. Though it usually works, there are occasions when it just flat out fails and there doesn't seem to be any logical reason why. Dockutil also offers much finer control over where items get added, lets you replace one icon for another and much more.

I didn't see it listed in the third party product section here so I just added it in-
https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/viewProduct.html?id=203

nkalister
Valued Contributor

+1 for dockutil, that's what I use.

Kumarasinghe
Valued Contributor

Thanks Mike & Nick

For new accounts, I think the custom dock configuration needs to be delayed for few seconds as we need to wait till OS X configures the default dock.

I tried with dockutil and had to put 'sleep 5' to dockutil script to get OS X to configure the Dock first.

It seems like if we configure the dock while it is creating for the very first time will have issues.

I would really like to get this fixed in Casper as I prefer to use Casper as much as possible.

nessts
Valued Contributor II

that is why if you use /Library/Preferences/com.apple.dockfixup.plist it gets done right the first time, since this is the tool that the OS uses to create a new Dock. I believe it will update existing docks too, i would not bet my life on it, but it will only do it once in any case so if you must have it look the same always then you need to combine methods.

tkimpton
Valued Contributor II

I use do dockutil as well.....awesome :) check it out

https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=3668