Issues with policies and jamf admin mounting on-prem distribution point

Ken_Edgar
New Contributor II

Since I migrated Jamf to a Windows 2019 server two weeks ago, I have been troubleshooting the primary distribution point. The distribution point and jamf server are running on the same VM. I have tried and failed with https, probably because of the same root cause... so I am trying to simplify the issue by first troubleshooting the SMB dist point problem.

I am able to mount the share both from Windows and Mac clients using the jamf service accounts. I have been able to validate that the accounts work as-should... one read-only, the other read-write. I don't know what the jamf binary and jamf admin do differently to mount the distribution point, but both fail without any helpful messages.

I'm wondering if any of you have had a similar experience, and whether you have been able to locate your root cause and resolve. I have a packet capture out to Jamf support right now. I have been working with them for two weeks without resolution. I just re-built my Jamf server a second time with the same results.

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ken_Edgar
New Contributor II

I'll update this and mark it solved later this week after testing some more scenarios. What I found just now, which is weird because it was not setup this way on the old server... everything works when I use the legacy short domain name2022-11-15 16_52_28-jamf_share.png

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

obi-k
Valued Contributor II

A few years back, had the same issue when we migrated/updated our on-premise server. If I recall, it ended up being the settings on Jamf Pro (Settings, Server, File share distribution points). SMB.

It had something to do with the username needing a "\" in front of the username.

Or maybe both a "." and "\".

Example: username: .\caspershare

Once we played with that, it worked. I can't recall all the details, but if I come across the articles, I'll post.

Ken_Edgar
New Contributor II

I'll update this and mark it solved later this week after testing some more scenarios. What I found just now, which is weird because it was not setup this way on the old server... everything works when I use the legacy short domain name2022-11-15 16_52_28-jamf_share.png

Ken_Edgar
New Contributor II

This was the resolution... I need to take a look into why this is the case... but maybe this will help someone in the future.

obi-k
Valued Contributor II

Nice.

obi-k
Valued Contributor II

Curious, was the Workgroup or Domain name beyond 20 characters before you switched to the short name?

Ken_Edgar
New Contributor II

it is exactly 20 chars

bradtchapman
Valued Contributor II

I fixed this by removing the domain suffix from our domain name in the SMB distribution point settings, and just used the simple AD name for the domain, e.g.: pretendco instead of pretendco.com .  This started to be an issue in Monterey, though I'm not sure why.