Issues with Xcode Simulator Instruments

anne_rasschaert
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi Everyone,

I was hoping to get some insight on a specific challenge that someone is currently facing in their Apple environment. They are not using the Casper Suite, but need some assistance.

The current challenge is getting Xcode Simulator Instruments to work properly when the logged in user does not have root access (a non-admin user that does not have the root username/password). They have made attempts at trying to add items to a plist file that would allow auto-elevation via sure, but just can't get instruments to work.

This is the link that was provided: https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/DeveloperTools/Conceptual/InstrumentsUserGuide/Introduction/Introduction.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40004652

I don't have much of a technical background, so please let me know if more information is needed to answer this. Any help, insight, or advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you!!!

4 REPLIES 4

roiegat
Contributor III

I guess the first question would be, are they just using the instrument - or are they doing the coding as well? It's really hard to have xcode on a machine and not have admin rights. This is because most of the compilers and components need admin right to work.

But if the case is that they are just trying to add items maybe a work around can be made. Maybe have a folder which the user has access to and can drop the items in. Then have a script run which looks into that folder and moves it to the appropriate place that the user can't get to.

rhysforrester
New Contributor

They should be using the Casper Suite :)

If said client runs a script at login that has the following;

/usr/bin/dscl . append /Groups/_developer GroupMembership $usernamehere

...non admin/root clients will be able to launch Simulator and the other Xcode tools.

JMOFLHRC
New Contributor

We have an issue quite similar to this. We are adding our non-admin users to the _developers group as well as enabling developer mode and most things work fine. When a user attempts to run some tools within Instruments they are prompted for admin credentials. One good example is with the Leaks tool. In order to attach to the iOS Simulator process it seems root access is needed. Is anyone else running into this issue, or has anyone else been able to work around this?

Thanks!
-Jason

anne_rasschaert
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi Jason,

Thank you for your post. Could you let me know which company you work for? That way, I can get you connected with one of our technical account managers to help with this!

I can be reached at anne.rasschaert@jamfsoftware.com or 612.749.6950.

Thanks!

Anne