jamf binary

jcompton
Contributor

Sanity check -- several versions back - you used to be able to run "jamf recon" without sudo. But it appears (I think since 8.4) that sudo is required for jamf recon.

Is it just me? Or is this the same for everyone?

5 REPLIES 5

SeanA
Contributor III

Been using since 7.x.
I only recall needing sudo for the jamf binary.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Anything involving using the jamf binary (outside of pulling up the help page) has always needed a sudo, as far back as I can recall. Perhaps you're thinking of something else?

jcompton
Contributor

Possible. But to clarify - was able to run as a standard admin account without sudo. Does that still fit your experience?

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

I'm not sure I follow. Do you mean you can run jamf binary commands with a regular admin account and not being logged in as root in the shell? If so, yes, standard admin works but you still need to preface it with sudo and supply credentials when prompted, unless of course you just recently ran a sudo command.

Edit: Perhaps you can supply some details on what it is you're looking to do. I get that you want to run jamf recon without doing sudo or maybe without supplying a password, but is there a specific use case here that would help us understand why? Maybe there is an alternative.

jcompton
Contributor

jamf binary has ALWAYS had some verbs that require sudo, some that don't.

there are still verbs (about, version, checkJSSConnection, etc) that do not require sudo.

at one point in time (admittedly possibly by accident) "jamf recon" did NOT require sudo if you were an admin. seemed to become a problem for us when the JAMF.keychain was introduced.

in our environment - all our users are admins. we used to have some scripts that employed "jamf recon" and the user did not have to authenticate. now they do.

it's not a huge deal. just trying to determine if this was specific to our environment or not