Jamf Imaging Doesn't Enroll New MacBook Pros

irobinso
New Contributor III

Lately I've been encountering an issue when configuring new MacBook Pros.

We're currently using a thin-imaging workflow that looks like this:
1. NetBoot MacBook to Imaging Server
2. Without erasing the drive, we install a small package (used to create smart groups), name the computer, and the computer restarts.
3. After restarting, the computer begins to run policies to install and configure software.

This process works flawlessly for iMacs, but the new MacBook Pros are never enrolled in JAMF, and therefore never complete configuration.

The workaround is to boot into Internet Recovery, wipe the drive, and reinstall MacOS, then start from step 1. This works almost every time. To me, this defeats the purpose of thin imaging the computer in the first place, and creates extra work and confusion for our techs.

Has anyone else come across this, and are there any easier solutions? I'll add that we're on JAMF 10.0.0, but will be updating to the newest version in the next 2 weeks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

irobinso
New Contributor III

@bwiessner Unfortunately the goal is not to have to reinstall the operating system, which we would have to do if we reformat the drive.

The computers do enroll when we reformat the drive and reinstall the OS--even when we format with APFS. It seems like for some reason the behavior is different in the out-of-box OS than with a manually installed one.

Update: We have updated our Jamf environment to 10.2.2, and that seems to have resolved this issue.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

robertliebsch
Contributor

quickadd or DEP are both easier. But I don't know what the smartgroups/naming scenario looks like for you, so may be a nonstarter.

bwiessner
Contributor II

@irobinso

A few things that I would check - the newer macbooks pros that come with their drives formatted in APFS - I have not seen this work correctly with JAMF imaging and APFS/ certain packages that are built on a non-APFS drives.

I would: 1)Erase the drive to HFS+ before imaging and test to see if it completes and enrolls. terminal -diskutil eraseDisk JHFS+ "Macintosh HD" /dev/disk0
2)Check that your JAMF server version - matches the jamf imaging app version you are running.

irobinso
New Contributor III

@bwiessner Unfortunately the goal is not to have to reinstall the operating system, which we would have to do if we reformat the drive.

The computers do enroll when we reformat the drive and reinstall the OS--even when we format with APFS. It seems like for some reason the behavior is different in the out-of-box OS than with a manually installed one.

Update: We have updated our Jamf environment to 10.2.2, and that seems to have resolved this issue.