Jamf - new implemantation

KRIECCO
Contributor

We are going to use Jamf and to implement it soon. I know Jamf is a huge package with lot´s of features, so would like to know experience with what should be main focus to start with of which features to be sure to have integrated to start with.

I know it can be very different from company from company, but just join with your experience what did make value - or what you afterwards would have done different

We are an organisation with about 300 Mac computers

2 REPLIES 2

al786
New Contributor III

Organize. GO into buildings/departments/categories and fill them in. Next start Making as many "Smart Groups" as you need - whether you do it by who is in what department (i.e. accounting/VIP/IT) .Then if possible, get.request a test instance from JAMF to build policies. Watch the JAMF 100 course and definitely send someone to the Jamf 200 course BEFORE you do your jump start and you'll get 3x out of it .

jsherwood
Contributor

Preparation is definitely the key - if I could go back and do our Jamf setup again I'd do it differently.

We had a baptism of fire setting ours up - I got told on the Thursday evening that we had a jump start on the Monday morning so we were so not ready! Thankfully I'd used other MDM solutions to the concepts weren't alien but it was still an eye-opener.

If you haven't already got them set up I'd also recommend getting DEP/VPP setup well in advance as it's not an instant process - we managed to push our DEP through in a couple of days so we had it available before the end of the jump start but it was touch and go whether we would have it in time.

Definitely agree on the training - I took the Jamf 200 course 6 months after we started using Jamf and am now going back through and "fixing" the things we had done...not that they didn't work, just that there were better ways to achieve the same result with less effort.