Jamf Printers need to prompt for AD Credentials

kkeirstead
New Contributor III

We are using a new printing solution (SmartPrint) that requires users to swipe their badge in order to print. On PCs it works because the users are logged in with their AD credentials so the print server can match print job with their badge. Currently all of our Macs are set up with local user accounts. If I manually set up the printer through the system settings and then go to print a document it prompts for the users AD credentials and once those are entered it shows up in the print queue. However if we deploy the printer through Jamf I see it listed as a printer and verified that it has the correct server address, however when I print a document I am not prompted for the credentials and the print job is listed as "connection refused". Has anyone used this solution before or know of a way to prompt for credentials when printing?

2 REPLIES 2

jorourke
New Contributor II

I haven't used SmartPrint but I have used Papercut. With Papercut I created a printer in JAMF pro using LPD and pointed it to the hostname of the server and the queue I wanted to print to. We set up a different printer for each queue we had (Students, Teachers, ect.). This won't prompt for credentials but it will send the job to the proper queue if you are using JAMF connect or have the machine binded to AD.

Hope this helps, I know it wasn't the exact solution you were looking for.

ryan_ball
Valued Contributor

Make sure the Device URI in Jamf Pro is using a FQDN if possible rather than an IP:

lpd://printer.yourcorp.com/lp

Also set the printer options to 'auth-info-required=negotiate'

#!/bin/bash
# Script to set all installed printers to use AD credentials

printers=$(lpstat -v | sed 's/://' |  awk '{print $3}')

if [[ -n $printers ]]; then
    /bin/echo "Printers found..."

for printer in $printers; do
        lpadmin -p "$printer" -o auth-info-required=negotiate
        /bin/echo "$printer auth-info-required set to negotiate"
    done

/bin/echo "Restarting CUPS service..."
    launchctl stop org.cups.cupsd
    launchctl start org.cups.cupsd
    /bin/echo "Done"
else
    /bin/echo "No printers found, exiting..."
fi

exit 0

Also, make sure you have a functional driver installed on the Mac for the printer as well. You might try to install the driver on a machine, install the printer manually, then install Jamf Admin on that machine and add the printer to the Jamf Pro Server using Jamf Admin to see what you get.