Jamf Pro 10.20.1 Inventory issue?

franton
Valued Contributor III

Hello All,

After our recent 10.20.1 upgrade, I noticed our computer inventory wasn't updating as it should. Neither my devices, or anything from our workers remote across the continental USA were updating.

I swapped out the update inventory option from Jamf Pro to a "jamf recon" command as a test. Immediately my Slack based reporting went nuts. The relevant message in the logs was:

Connection failure: "The operation couldn’t be completed. ( error 502.)"

Anyone else noticed this behaviour?

6 REPLIES 6

Brad_G
Contributor II

We fought this issue over a year ago. The built-in policy that used the GUI checkbox wouldn't reliably do inventories. We swapped that policy out with a "jamf recon" as you mentioned. We opened a ticket with Jamf on this but never really got anywhere with it.

Sorry can't provide more than a simple sanity check.

abutterman
New Contributor III

Been seeing this a lot as well. It started for me however before 10.20.1. I want to say either around the time of 10.18 or 10.19. It will randomly produce that error then usually work the next time I run a recon. We're on Jamf Cloud.

jtrant
Valued Contributor

@franton are you on-prem or cloud?

franton
Valued Contributor III

@jtrant We're on Cloud.

Cayde-6
Release Candidate Programs Tester

I found this article by Rich Trouton @rtrouton very useful in discribing the differences between the maintenance payload and jamf recon

https://derflounder.wordpress.com/2020/03/13/jamf-pro-inventory-update-and-recon-functions-alike-but-not-the-same/

franton
Valued Contributor III

@Cayde-6 Rich comes up with the goods again! Sadly it's not relevant on this particular case. My 502 error issue is now affecting enrollment of devices.

Last time I saw this on cloud, one of the two tomcat servers that makes up Jamf Cloud hasn't initialized properly and the load balancer was sending requests to a non functional server. Anyway I've escalated with Jamf Support and everyone else affected by this I recommend that you do the same.