Jamf Pro 10.7.1 - Self Service policy running twice

jtrant
Valued Contributor

We have a policy in Self Service that loads our standard software set. The technician runs this while logged in as themselves and there are no triggers set. For some reason, the policy has suddenly started running twice. The technician runs it as normal and it completes successfully, but then runs again in the background (according to the logs) with no interaction from the technician.

From previous posts it seems that this could be related to a network state change or caches being cleared. Our policy does not clear any caches so network state change is the only other thing I can think of. I'm testing using a Dell USB-C dock so will try without just in case.

Looking at the policy it is not calling itself (e.g. sudo jamf policy -id x under Files & Processes), there are no triggers set and the logs show a “Completed” status for the first run so it's not failing the first time. We recently updated to Jamf Pro 10.7.1 in case that makes a difference.

Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks a lot!

3 REPLIES 3

alexjdale
Valued Contributor III

Is the technician logged into multiple accounts on the OS while running the Self Service policy? This can cause the policy to execute multiple times. We have to make sure we don't use user-switching to run Self Service policies.

jhalvorson
Valued Contributor

We have seen this happen with a Self Service policy, with both JSS 10.3.0 and 10.7.0. After the tech completes the DEP enrollment process, they are instructed to open Self Services and log in with their AD account. That presents the various scripts and packages to completed the setup. (We do not have any policies set to "Enrollment Complete".)
The first item they run via Self Service is a policy that runs a trigger policy (aka custom event) for a script to prompt for and set the computer name. Sporadically, the policy will run twice in a row even though the tech click on it a single time.
I haven't determined what causes it to happen. It appears to be random, but I suspect it might be related if the jamf binary is still busy with management tasks or something. I am hesitant to tell the techs to wait "x" number of minutes before using Self Service.

jtrant
Valued Contributor

alexjdale, no - only the newly-created local user account is logged in.
jhalvorson, your process sounds the same as mine. I'll keep playing around and see if I can figure out what's happening. At least I know it's not just me.